20: Heartbreak

Zane

"Are you gonna tell me what's wrong?" André asked, flustered and arms flailing everywhere. "You've been holed up in your room for days!"

He was wrong. I had been going to school.

"School doesn't count," he replied to my thoughts. André was a mind reader, apparently.

"Drop it, André," I sighed. "You're seeing me at work and school, so I don't see the point of you being mad,"

André flopped onto my bed. "You spoke to me exactly three words at work. 'Shut up, André',"

Just then, my older sister walked into the room. "I'll take it from here, André," she said.

"I'm not a nutcase but okay,"

André and I were close friends, but we rarely discussed feelings or relationships. However, my sister and I have, and she was good at drawing words out of my mouth.

André gave me a hug before leaving and wishing my sister good luck.

"What did Gavin Ross do to you?" She asked bluntly.

"It's not-"

"Your whole body tensed when I mentioned his name, so cut to the chase," I hated how right she always were.

I took my blanket and sat by the window. The very same blanket I slept on next to Gavin a few days ago. To think I wanted more of him.

"He didn't do anything I didn't anticipate," What I was having with Gavin was too good to be true.

She got up and left the room. A few minutes later she returned with two cups of coffee and sat next to me. She handed me my mug. It had little puppy ears. I had always wanted a little puppy but mom didn't allow us to get a dog.

"What happened between you two?"

I was kind of uncomfortable. I didn't know if she knew anything about my sexuality. We had only discussed girls before. I was afraid she wouldn't be as accepting as I thought she would.

But to hell with everything, right?

"I don't think it's my place to tell, but we just won't work out,"

"And why's that?"

What was I supposed to tell her? He's meeting up with someone to see if he's the one he's been wanting all his life?

His friend, who wanted to hurt me and humiliate me is in love with him?

And where did I stand? The spare wheel?

"He loves someone else," I said bitterly.

We drank our coffees in comfortable silence. She tried to tell me that there's more to life than what I was going through; that I'll fall in love and get my heart broken multiple times before I find a love that mends me. I didn't care. I didn't want love or broken hearts, I wanted Gavin Ross by my side.

But alas.

He was visiting his sister, and playing the last game of the season at Eastmill Secondary, where he will meet the love of his life, leaving two broken people behind.

-

"You're not in our class," I told Noah Grayson. He was Gavin's friend and Co-captain of the football team.

"The team is away, and my foot is limpy," he didn't have to tell me the team was away. I knew that very well. "the teacher gave me an easel to explore my inner Picasso,"

"Well if you use those two colours you'll end up with a disaster,"

"Jeez, what's up with you?" he sneered.