Chapter 6: The Moody Young Master

"Normal speech"
'Thought'
***********************************

"Young master, welcome back."
"... Yes, Ron. Can you ask Beacrox to make some sweets? I need it tomorrow. I want to take a bath."

"Would you also like some light snacks, since you seem to have skip dinner?" Ron noticed the mud on Cale's shoes. He also curious about the reason he wanted sweets when he went out.

"Yes. Snacks is good. I am feeling hungry again." Cale quickly escaped Ron's sharp eyes.

"Then I'll bring it to you after you're done with your bath." Ron bowed.

Cale took a warm bath, ate his night snacks and went to sleep. He had many things to do tomorrow.

Ron who came to clear the plate, wanted to nag his young master for sleeping immediately after meal but he couldn't bear to when he saw his young master's tired face.

It was rare that his young master didn't go to the bar and get drunk. He sighed. "Good night, young master."

***********************************
Cale ended up waking up very late. It's been so long since he slept in this kind of soft bed.

'This is totally beat the 30+ years being Kim Roksoo. Good bed, good food, and best of all, my family. I don't want to get up, but I'm late. I want to make sure Choi Han come today.'

Cale was fighting the urge to just lay down and sleep again. He walked to bathroom and washed his face with cold water.

Cale got ready for the day with the help of Ron. He had missed breakfast with his family, so he ate alone.

As Cale was eating, Hans had entered the room, and stood behind Cale. Cale could see that Hans is nervous, but he ignored it and just enjoyed his breakfast.

He asked Hans once he's done. "Hans, why are you suddenly got assigned to me?"

Hans slightly bowed his head, answered respectfully. "The Count-nim was concerned after hearing that you have missed your lunch and didn't have your dinner yesterday. To that matter, I was assigned to overseeing the meal-related duties for you, young master."

"I do tend to lose myself in time. Hans, I'll leave myself in your care then."

Hans felt touched. He felt that he was stupid for believing the rumor to the point he never tried to actually see what this eldest young master was like.

He had seen the young master being drunk and throwing the bottle at the servants once, but he never actually heard that someone was injured because of young master Cale. He believed the rumor and had ignored that fact.

"Yes, sir. I will do my best. Please take care of me, too. Oh. Count-nim had me brought your allowance to you." Hans took out a small pouch out of his inner pocket and handed it to Cale.

Cale could see 3 gold coins in there. Cale kept it and got up to leave. He saw Ron standing there with a packet of what seemed to be the sweets he requested.

"Is that the sweets I want? Give it to me, I have to go out now. You won't follow me, will you?"

"Do you want me to follow you, young master?" Ron handed the small pouch with cookies to Cale.

"No. It's better for you not to get curious about my activities." Cale had to make sure Ron wouldn't follow him. He couldn't effort to tell anyone about what he knew yet.

"...I understand. I will wait for you." Ron paused a little at the firm tone that answered his teasing question. 'I wait till you could tell me openly.'

Cale frowned a little and bit his inner cheek. He turned to leave without looking back. 'Sorry, Ron.'

From the servants' perspective that had witnessed the scene, Cale looked annoyed at being questioned. They didn't dare to say anything and bow their head low.

***********************************
Cale had used the carriage today as he is a bit behind schedule.

When it stopped in front of the tea shop, the driver cautiously helped Cale get off, face full of confusion. "Y-Young master, is this the right place?"

"Yes. You can go back now."
"Y-Yes? B-But won't I have to wait for you?"

"Do you really need me to repeat myself?" Cale still felt bad from his conversation with Ron, so he sounded a little harsh.

"I-I dare not. Have a good day, young master." The driver bowed in fright.

Cale turned to open the door of the tea shop. The people inside quiet down immediately after seeing the frown on Cale's face.

Cale sighed and controlled his expression after noticed that he let his emotions get better of him.

"Welcome back, young master. I had the third floor reserved for you as well as the item you requested." Billos informed Cale with a professional smile.

He was curious how the smiling young master from yesterday turned into this frowning person in front of him. 'Ah. He could even control his expression in this situation, he's so different from rumor.'

"Here for today's payment. Bring me some tea." Cale said curtly as he headed upstairs after paying for the spatial bag and the tea.

Cale went to sit the same place he sat yesterday. He saw a book lying there on the table. He didn't open it but looked out the window instead.

Billos came to deliver the spatial bag and the tea, but seeing that Cale haven't touch the novel he recommended yet.

He couldn't help asking. "Is the book not to your liking, young master? I could recommend you another one."

Cale turned away from the window for a while. "It's okay. I haven't read it yet. I was just lost in thought. Thanks for the tea. You can go back now."

Billos noticed that Cale didn't want to talk and wasn't in the mood to talk. So he bowed and returned to his counter downstairs.

Cale drank his tea and started to relax. "Don't think about anything else, Cale. Choi Han is a priority right now."

Just as the words left his mouth, Cale could see a young man wearing black clothes with burnt mark everywhere. He seems to have small injuries all over his body, too.

"Maybe some medicines is needed as well... I remember he will sprained his ankle when he jumps over the wall because he avoids some injured kittens. Let's go buy the breads for the Glutton. The kids might be hungry, too."

Cale gulped down the tea and went downstairs.

"I will come back to read the book. Don't clear the place yet."
"I understand."

***********************************
Cale had gone around the area, getting as much bread as available. He made a detour to the apothecary before made his way to the slum.

As soon as he arrived at the top of the hill, he looked around for the siblings. He waved his hand, signaled them to come forward as soon as he saw them.

"Here's today's bribe. And this is a reward for keeping your part of the deal. Make sure to try them. My chef is the one making the cookies. It's really delicious." Cale gave them the bread and handed the cookies pouch as well.

Cale seemed to have a better mood as soon as he talked about Beacrox's food. He didn't forget to boost proudly about Beacrox.

Cale then leave them to feed the tree. He started to put the bread into the hole with one hand and took a bite at the bread he kept for lunch with the other hand.

"I've just told Hans to take care of my meal, and I miss lunch at home again. You made me miss Beacrox's cooking. You'd better hurry and give me the shield." Cale grumpily complained. "It seems it's not enough yet. But the hole do lighten up. I guess see you tomorrow again."

Rumble.... The leaves on the tree swayed along the rumble sound, as if the tree was waving goodbye to the kind-hearted person who spent time feeding it.

***********************************
Tsuki: Next is how Cale gonna recruit Choi Han. It's gonna be a bit different from novel.

Do tell how you think about this chapter. Enjoy.