24

Wei Wuxian wasn't really surprised by the announcement, she could guess that this was more or less the reason why they were invited in. Their opponent had big balls, she admitted, and it was kind of refreshing since she was always involved with sneaky bastards who liked to do sneaky perverted things under the guise of business. She liked this person already, and she grinned as she took off her jacket and gave it to Lan Wangji.

"I'm going in, babe. It's not polite to decline, since they're so nice to invite us in."

Lan Wangji apparently had the same thought, since he just nodded and did not say any words. He was curious about the identity of the Morrigan, since the crowd became quiet when the ringmaster said the name. He knew that Morrigan was the name of Celtic Goddess of War, so he safely assumed that this Morrigan was a female. He got his confirmation when a shadow jumped down from the second floor in all black and the familiar pink gas mask.

"Oh? Turns out it's you," Wei Wuxian grinned, she started to enjoy this more and more. "Noah raved about you, how you take him down easily, blablabla, sounds like he's got the hots for you. Maybe you both should meet."

"All in good time." 

Wei Wuxian could hear the smile behind the mask, as she prepared herself for the fight. She could sense that this girl, Morrigan, was no ordinary one. She was tall, lean, and oozing confidence, and she had awakened some kind of familiar feeling inside her gut. She threw a look at Lan Wangji and he was looking at the girl too, apparently feeling the same way. 

Wei Wuxian was just looking away for a few seconds when she felt that Morrigan had moved, it was so fast that she was already in front of her and it took her for a surprise. Morrigan made a move to hit her, but she dodged it with a near miss. It almost hit her though.

"Wow, you're fast. Nice." Wei Wuxian moved quickly and she was beside Morrigan in a flash, and she was about to grab her when Morrigan quickly turned and kicked Wei Wuxian, then she jumped away from her. "And flexible too, I can see why Noah was enchanted." Wei Wuxian smiled. She could feel the familiar excitement when she faced a worthy opponent, and this was it. She quickly moved again to Morrigan's blindspot, at least what she assumed as her blindspot since she wore that mask, and she cast an array to bind her. 

What Wei Wuxian did not expect was that the array disappeared just before it touched her, and it took her a full second to understand the meaning, when Morrigan flicked her fingers and cast the same array toward her. Wei Wuxian nullified the array but she was very surprised by Morrigan's capability.

"Take out your scythe." Morrigan suddenly spoke to her, and Wei Wuxian wondered how Morrigan knew about her scythe.

"I only take out my scythe when I have to shed blood. And I don't want that now. Not until I get to know you better." And it was the truth. Wei Wuxian got the feeling that this Morrigan was not an enemy, but merely curious about her. Well, so did she.

"Don't worry, Grim Reaper, my blood won't be shed that easily." Morrigan chuckled as she reached into her Abyss and took out a small carved diabolium blade. It was gleaming with nanites, a technology that was both ancient and new, courtesy of Feng Xue.

Wei Wuxian widened her eyes in shock. 

First, because she called her Grim Reaper, second, because she had the Abyss, and a diabolium blade. Who was she?

"You know, I could make a scythe out of this too…" Morrigan held the blade and shook it downward once and the nanites worked their magic to make it become the same scythe that Wei Wuxian used, with the same black fire and all. "But, I don't want to be a copycat, so instead, I will use my usual weapon. My specialty, if I may say." 

Morrigan held the scythe horizontally, and it lengthened, then slowly it turned into a…

"That's the Devourer Whip. How can you use that?" Now Wei Wuxian was impressed. The Devourer Whip was just like its name, the ultimate whip that would obliterate anything and everything in its way, but it was very hard to control, unless… "Did you use your own bone to control the whip? That diabolium blade is one of your ribs, isn't it?" Wei Wuxian realized in horror what this Morrigan did. 

"If only you knew what hell I had to go through… mom." Morrigan was moving beside Wei Wuxian when she whispered the word mom, so Wei Wuxian was the only one who could hear it. "But it's fine, I can handle it, after all I'm made from you." Morrigan moved her whip very fast and Wei Wuxian had to dodge very quickly before it got her. Unfortunately she moved a little bit slower because of the shock, so the whip singed the edge of her jacket.

"What do you mean by that?" Wei Wuxian knew that her experiments were at least out there somewhere in the form of another human like He Xuan, maybe. But this was beyond her wildest imagination. She peeked at Lan Wangji's direction and she saw that he could guess more or less what happened since his usually stoic face was frowning.

"Please concentrate, I don't want you to make dad become a widower." Morrigan attacked Wei Wuxian again with the whip, which looked like it was alive and covered in the black fire. Wei Wuxian jumped out of the attack range and she quickly ran to get closer to Morrigan and rendered her whip useless, since the whip only became fully effective from a distance. But Morrigan already predicted her movement since she flicked her fingers again and turned the whip into some kind of futuristic gun and she shot Wei Wuxian, who thankfully had the force field around her. 

"You really are a smartass, and I'm kinda proud if you're really my kid." Wei Wuxian smirked as she moved faster than before and entered Morrigan peripheral vision. Morrigan was ready, but instead of attacking her, Wei Wuxian jumped and took her helmet off, revealing very long silver hair, and eyes that were just like hers. And it made Lan Wangji hold his breath. 

Wei Wuxian always wondered what hers and Lan Wangji's children would look like. And now, she could see clearly that this young woman looked like her, and in a way, Lan Wangji. Wei Wuxian was mesmerized by her, and Morrigan went still in place as she saw Wei Wuxian tried to touch her face. She closed her eyes to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall. This was the one who shared the same blood as hers. So why did she feel miserable?

Unfortunately, at the last second, someone shouted, "Cops!" And they heard the siren blared. Everyone scrambled to leave and saved themselves, including Morrigan, who snapped out of her reverie and took back her gas mask then she jumped out of the cage and left in a hurry. 

Lan Wangji approached the visibly shaking Wei Wuxian and took her into his arms.

"Let's get out of here."