Chapter 16

•Nolani•

I spritz on some perfume and take a seat on the bed, not caring if it puts wrinkles in the gown. I'm tempted to take it off anyway except now I would need help unzipping it and I don't feel like facing Giovanni's wrath again just yet. I brush my hands down my thighs and sigh, the rock on my ring finger glinting under the lights catching my eye. It's a beautiful ring and under different circumstances I would've fallen in love with it. I've never dreamt of what my picture perfect engagement ring would look like but I have to admit this one would be close.

The ring Clint had given me had a smaller oval cut diamond with a rose gold band and I thought it was perfect because it came from him. When he gave it to me I was elated only to have that feeling ripped away from me just two months later. I should've expected it, knew it was too good to be true but I let myself bask in the happiness it brought me and it turned to hurt in the blink of an eye. Would I always have heartache when it came to engagement rings? First Clint and now Giovanni. Maybe my Mom was right.

A knock on my door pulls me from my thoughts.

"Come in." I say, not moving an inch.

Matteo's face greets me. "Mr. DeLuca is waiting for you."

I sigh through my nose and follow him out of the room.

Giovanni stands by the front door clutching a tumbler of amber liquid that matches his eyes. He looks comfortable in his role as the villain, dressed in an all black tuxedo with his hair perfectly styled as always.

Matteo opens the door and we exit the house and get in the awaiting SUV. A man I've never seen before is sitting behind the wheel of the vehicle and Matteo gets in the passenger seat.

For the first part of the ride Giovanni stays silent, he doesn't even glance over at me as he sips his liquor. Once the tumblers empty he places it on the floorboard and purses his lips.

"Keep your attitude to yourself while we're in public."

I fight the urge to roll my eyes at him. "I've been to gala's before, Giovanni, I'll be the epitome of a debutante."

I might not have grown up as part of the upper class but I'm an excellent actress.

"I'll have to touch you while we're there or our engagement won't be believable." He adds.

He says it almost like he's asking permission, as if Giovanni asked permission for anything. From what I've seen of him so far he barks demands and expects everyone to fall in line.

"I'm aware." I mutter unhappily.

"Do not wander off. If you need something tell me or Matteo."

"Fine." I agree.

"If anything happens Matteo will stay with you. Be aware of the exits but do not leave the building by yourself unless it's absolutely necessary."

My brow furrows at his instructions. "I've heard of the Waterson Gala, it's just your average rich people party. Drinks, dancing and networking with the upper crust of the city. What do you expect to happen?"

"It's the unexpected part of the events you have to always be prepared for. Things can go down hill much faster than you realize." He replies cryptically.

We pull up to the building and Matteo exits the passenger seat and opens the back door. Giovanni slides out, straightening his tux before holding his hand out to me. I take a deep breath, mentally placing my Nolani Michaels the model mask on and take his offered hand as I exit the vehicle. The paparazzi cameras go off in succession, the flashes like repetitive bursts of lightening. Giovanni's hand leaves mine and slips around my waist pulling me into his side. His cologne hits my nose and I'm surrounded by the heat radiating from his body. The paps are firing questions at me and screaming my name as we walk to the entrance with Matteo close behind.