Part 62

Sabrina won't stop crying, and Conrad feels like joining in.

She purses her lips tightly, not letting the whimper escape.

She so wishes she could cry, but she can't. She has no tears left, and her chest feels hollow.

The crisp air makes a shiver run down her spine, and she pulls her black coat tighter around her with her free hand, her other holding Sabrina's.

The little girl is in a matching black coat, with a black wool hat on her head as she shakes with sobs while they walk.

She's attached to Conrad's side, and Conrad takes comfort in it, letting the little girl seek her out.

It's silent apart from the sound of footsteps as they walk up the tarmacked path, and Sabrina's occasional wail cuts through the air like bullets.

Conrad can feel every single sob, their bond making it difficult for her to continue walking. She can feel the little girl's waves of agony, and she's focusing on not sending her own back.

They finally make it to their destination, and Conrad stands at the top of the coffin.

Sabrina sinks into one of the seats by the graveside, her face streaked with tears.

I love you, Conrad tries to link Carlos with no success. She's speaking to herself in her head, and the emptiness makes her hand reach for her chest, pressing where her heart is. The lack of response reminds her why they're there, and this makes it real.

She puts her other hand on the wooden coffin.

The only thing stopping her from climbing in is the little girl sitting five feet away from her.

"He's dead," Sabrina wails, her breathing becoming increasingly uneven.

Conrad looks at her blankly, the numbness setting in.

"Daddy is dead," Sabrina screams, searching Conrad's face for a reaction.

"I know," Conrad quietly responds, closing her eyes to hold her tears in.