A Life Worth Living

Author's Note: This is it, y'all...the final chapter. Enjoy!

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

The next morning started on a fairly normal note, but things quickly took an unexpected turn. Negan was already in the shower when you woke, and he exited the steam-filled bathroom just as you were going in, hair wet and a towel wrapped around his waist. You gave him a good morning kiss and went to take your own shower, sighing as the hot water hit your body. This was one privilege you would never take for granted again, especially after going for weeks out in the woods without any running water and then dealing with the crowded shower rooms in the Sanctuary that only spit out lukewarm water.

Exiting the bathroom, you walked over to the armoire and pulled out clothes for the day. Negan had graciously moved around his own clothing in order to share the armoire, though you didn't have a ton of items so thankfully didn't need much space. He had offered to get you more clothes, but you had put your foot down and said that you had points to do so, if you felt it was needed. You knew he was only being nice by offering, but buying your own clothes was just one of those things that it was important for to take care of yourself. He hadn't argued, the intelligent man, and you had thanked him later that same evening by sucking his soul out through his dick until his legs shook.

Pulling on jeans, you glanced over and found him sitting on the edge of the bed with elbows on knees and staring off into space. He was fully dressed but still bootless, his hair a bit disheveled rather than slicked back in its usual style. He seemed both more serious than usual and also spaced out, which wasn't the typical combination for a man who tended to be lighthearted and alert in the mornings. In fact, his ability to easily wake up and start the day was one you strove to emulate, but consistently failed. You were definitely not a morning person the way he was, and so it was usually you zoning out or forgetting something important like shoes, until your brain fully woke up and got itself in gear.

Trying to remember if he had mentioned any important meetings or upcoming runs that might be distracting him, you came up blank. Deciding to wait him out and see if he'd say anything or snap out of it on his own, you turned to the mirror hanging across from the bed and started twisting your hair up into its signature bun. You'd taken his advice to heart about not prying when his duties as leader wore heavy on his emotions, which might be the case this morning. However, he'd also kept up his side of the bargain by venting to you when it was helpful to do so, and you hoped this would be one of those times.

You had just finished with your hair and were turning to look for where you'd tossed your sneakers the night before when he seemed to snap out of it. You saw him reach for his boots out of the corner of your eye and quickly jerk them on. Standing with a sigh, he turned to you just as you straightened from retrieving the sneakers from where they'd been hiding under the bed.

Clearing his throat, he asked, "Got any morning plans, doll?"

"Nope, nothing set in stone," you answered honestly, letting him know that you were free if he needed to talk.

Running a hand up through his hair before cupping the back of his neck, he looked at you with an unreadable expression and said something totally unexpected.

"I have some business I need to take care of out in the fucking woods...and I want you to come with me."

Your brows lowered in confusion, but you had a feeling now wasn't the time to push, and that it would be better to just wait and see what this "business" was with your own eyes. Nodding, you returned the sneakers and instead hunted down your own boots, zipping them up before tucking your handy little pocket knife into the top of one, just in case.