Part 2.7

It's a strange thing to watch a dead person's eyes. They're empty but not empty, they're still and yet you expect them to move. This is what I thought as I saw Lazarus through the First Witch's eyes.

The First Witch herself felt differently. Eyes meant nothing to her. They were a commodity, something to be worn like a cloak or a hat. It was his energy that filled her with sickness. She'd never felt energy decay before.

After all these years, Onyx muses. Scion comes to us again.

"He should've stayed where he was," I growl.

Onyx wiggles an ear at me. After a millennium, Lily? You're still angry?

"Tell me you're not! Tell me you don't want to smush his brains all over Maya's gleaming floors."

The ear twitches, then lowers slowly. The First Witch was angry, but she was mostly sad.

Grief was not the main feeling here. There's a sick anger ladling inside me. It wants to rage, it wants to explode, but I'm keeping it contained, and the sickness grows inside me.

"She should've been angry. She should've wanted to kill Scion for what he did."

Lily...this was before she turned.

I freeze. "What's that supposed to mean?"

It means...He fixes his obsidian eyes on me. That you are acting more like the First Witch after her soul was twisted.

"What?" Was he trying to make me angrier? Lazarus was the closest thing the First Witch had to a father. Scion did more than kill him. I was feeling her anger, and what was wrong with that?

You are feeling her anger, but it is not the anger she felt from Lazarus's demise. I can feel it in your energy. It is the dark anger of the First Witch as she burned to death. That is the anger you are feeling.

"You can think what you want," I snap. I have a right to my own feelings, and right now I want Scion dead. It would be justice.

You cannot kill Scion yet, Onyx warns, as if he'd read my mind. You are not strong enough.

"Then shut up and train me!"

Onyx is silent. Lily. He puts a paw on my hand. You must control your anger. This is important.

Why? Why was it important? So I can conquer my fate and save my soul from darkness? Who cares, as long as Scion gets what he deserves?

Oh, frogs.

By the Dark Witch, he's right. I'm losing it. I'm letting myself slip into darkness, and the scary thing is I don't even care. This anger inside me - I gave myself to it without a second thought.

I put my head in my hands. The hatred is still roiling inside me, but I'm woozy now from the realization of what's happening.

"How do I stop this, Onyx? How do I stop myself?"

There is a deep sorrow in his eyes as he answers me. I do not know.