Chapter 10

Once Aylee reached the hallway Shoto and Hawks were anxiously waiting in, a weight began to slowly lift off of her tense shoulders. Although she had a hunch that it would go that way, It was a very intense and draining conversation to have with a narcissistic parent. She could only hope that his mother was a bit more reasonable and calmer than his short-tempered father. She needed to find out more, there's something she was missing from the overall picture of the Todoroki family. Shoto needed stability now more than ever, and having a father he doesn't feel safe around and a so far absent mother wasn't helping.

Unbeknownst to Aylee, a small red feather trailed past her feet completely unnoticed before the door shut behind her.

They both looked up at her as she walked out and stood up immediately from the uncomfortable standard waiting room chairs. Shoto quickly approached the still flustered woman and ran up to hug her tightly in his small grip. It was like he was afraid she was going to disappear from his sight forever. Everything in his life would crumble if he went back to his father in his current state. It made her absolutely livid to hear what the Todoroki patriarch said before about taking him away from her. Her eyes narrowed in remembrance of the harsh words the flame hero spit out in anger. That would only be possible over her cold, dead, body.

Her peppermint was so special and sweeter than most of the other children she has taken care of in the past. Aylee is well aware of the unspoken rules in this profession: you're not supposed to have favorites or even start that fragile line of thought. But, he grew on her. Even after his sudden temper tantrums and stray icicles, he was still gentle and innocent in all of his intentions. Shoto even began to build bonds with his teachers and fellow classmates at UA. It gave Aylee hope that he would be ok after he became himself again soon. As long as he kept smiling and enjoying his life, Aylee would call it a job well done.

Aylee closed her eyes and hugged the boy's small form back just as tight.

"I'm ok sweetie. Let's go back to our dorm room and watch a movie together, you can pick which one. Does that sound like fun to you?" She said with an encouraging smile that tugged at her lips.

They walk together towards another less gaudy elevator and get on. The group gradually relaxed with every floor they passed until they reached the bottom floor again. They stepped out into the still relatively busy lobby with its still glaring receptionist.

The shrewd woman focused her harsh stare mainly on Aylee, who took notice but didn't care enough to start another scene in Endeavor's hero agency. Shoto also spotted the receptionist's sharp gaze that was directed at Aylee. He absolutely hated how she was looking so disrespectfully towards Aylee when she did nothing seriously wrong. Shoto's heterochromatic gaze shifted to the receptionist's desk and spotted her coffee. It was in a cup that appeared to be just brewed judging on the small steam wisps rising from the top of the mug. And suddenly, the disciplined and well behaved young Todoroki had an idea.

"MMMMMMMMMMM"

A loud muffled shriek caused everyone in the lobby to turn abruptly towards the eardrum piercing sound. The receptionist's lips appeared to be frozen to her coffee mug. Someone seemed to ice her lips right at the moment she tried to take a sip from it. Her panicked eyes flew across and over to all the heroes currently in the building. None of them really knew what to do in this complex situation. The few who had actually witnessed what happened firsthand were a bit afraid to help. One look at Shoto's smirk and all the heroes and sidekicks knew the haughty receptionist had it coming. Or, at least in the perspective of their boss's prodigy son now turned 5-year-old.

Aylee turned her head back towards the commotion before she looked down at Shoto who avoided her probing gaze. The adult woman restrained a large grin from breaking out on her face and put on her best poker face.