Chapter 36

A/N Dani's dress described in the chapter is above :).

Reyn's POV

I stuck my hand out and felt around the cold, cotton sheets. My head shot up.

Where was she?

"Babyyyyy," I yelled out. My voice echoed through the room with no response.

I opened my eyes, confused.

She wasn't in the room. The silence rang loud in my ears. Panic laced my veins.

"Dani?" I paused in wait. "Princess?" I tried again.

No response.

I shot up out of bed and looked for my phone. Reaching across the bed, my legs and arms outstretched, I grabbed the device off the side table. I winced at the bright screen and was disheartened to see no messages.

Where could she have gone?

There were few things I hated more than waking up without Dani beside me.

I fell back on the bed and brought my hands up in front of my face when the curtains billowed towards me suddenly. The saltwater smell of the ocean rushed into our hotel room.

I hurried off the bed, pulled a pair of sweats on, and moved the heavy blackout curtains to find my favorite girl on her laptop with her headphones on. The noise-canceling ones. No wonder she didn't hear me.

The soft breeze had her readjusting her hair with one hand, the other hand flipping through her online flashcards.

I approached Dani from behind and wrapped my arms loosely around her neck.

She turned, surprised, and grabbed my arm with her small hand, making me chuckle.

I watched as she hurriedly removed one side of her headphones from an ear while side-eyeing me in faux anger.

"Reyn, you scared me!" She complained with a slight whine, lightly pushing on my shoulder.

I buried my face into her neck and groaned. "I hate it when I wake up and you're not there next to me. But, since you're studying, I'll forgive you this time. Next time don't expect to be so lucky."

"You looked like you were sleeping so well.... I didn't have the heart to bother you." She admitted affectionately with a soft glint in her eye.

"How long have you been up?" I caressed her chin with my thumb. I loved the feel of her soft, smooth skin against my fingers. If we were in the same room, there was a good chance I'd be right beside her pulling her into my arms. I had a hard time keeping my hands off of her. Luckily, she didn't mind.

"Hmm, since around 5, maybe?"

We both looked at the time on her laptop. It was now 9 am. God, she worked so hard. It was one of the many things I loved about her.

"My little bookworm," I lilted, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "Are you hungry?"

She nodded her head. "Let's go to the place we meant to go to yesterday?"

I pressed another kiss to her cheek. "Sounds perfect, princess."

We spent the rest of the morning at the beach before catching our flight back to Houston. But maybe we should have stayed a little longer. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the shitshow that was currently playing out in front of me. In my own home.