nineteen.

chapter nineteen

[ season 2 | episode 10 ][ fury ]

[ fury ]

               WHEN MARLEY LIVED IN HER FOSTER HOME, she remembered thinking about what it would feel like to be shot. She used to think it was this automatic burning pain. That it felt like a fire had dragged across her body and was suffocating her in its toxic smoke.

Instead, it was numbness. Yes, it hurt like hell, but the shock of it all just numbed that pain. Especially as she watched Scott McCall fall to the ground with a bullet making its way through his lower abdomen. As she watched one of her classmates point a gun at Melissa McCall and Louise Hawthorne, who were both trying to help the wounded boy. As she heard that loud bang for the second time tonight.

"Mom, mom, stop! Mom!" Scott reached out to his mother, trying to halt her movement as Matt shifted the gun onto her. Everyone's words blurred as Marley stared at the growing puddle of red, just a mixture of yelling and crying and pleading.

Glossy eyes met Scott's, a promise passing between them. Swallowing whatever emotion tried to claw its way into her throat, she turned to hold Melissa back, her hands resting gently on the older woman's shoulders. "Mrs. McCall, you need to stay back, please. It's the best thing you can do for him, okay?"

The woman held her hands to her mouth, sobs wracking at her chest. "Scott," she cried out, the panic of a mother echoing through her voice.

As another shockwave of pain radiated through her thigh, Marley watched Scott clutch the bullet wound in his stomach. He stared up at his mother with pleading eyes, her heart pounding within his chest. "Mom, do it." Sucking in a breath, he furrowed his brows and softened his words. "Please, mom."

Marley saw Matt's grip tighten around the handgun, his knuckles whitening at the hold. "Get up, McCall." He nodded his head toward the wounded teenaged boy, eyes still trained on Melissa and Louise as they both feared for their children. Distantly, she could hear Stilinski pleading, his cuffs clanging against the metal pole.

Testing her leg, Marley stepped forward and held her hand out towards the boy. "Matt, please, just—"

"Shut—" he waved the gun, pointing it at her chest, "shut— shut up! Everybody shut the hell up! Now, McCall, get up, or I shoot them all next."

Her eyes squeezed shut as she heard Scott scramble up to his feet, listening in on his mother's rapid heartbeat. Her blood pulsed beneath her skin as she tried to just think. There had to be something she could do, something that could save her and everyone else in the damn station. She'd already tried to fight. What else?