25.

Vote Target - 300

Maheen wore a dark emerald green lehenga and braided her hair. She just wore her nuptial chain and decided to skip any other piece of jewellery for the day.

She did faintly remember her conversation with Mohini and was aware of the post wedding rituals she would have to perform as a new bride.

Jhumri her attendant from back at home and another girl Vidhi around the same age helped her into her days outfit.

"Maheen Baaji do you need anything else ?" Jhumri asked as she placed Maheen's jhooti on the floor for her.

"No I'm good." Maheen said giving her a smile. "Have you had breakfast yet ?" She asked Jhumri.

"I did Baaji." Jhumri replied. "Vidhi could you ask someone to get Maheen Baaji her breakfast she -."

Knock on the door interrupted Jhumri. Maheen looked up while slipping green bangles into her wrist to see l Mandira Suryavanshi stand on the door with Mohini in tow.

Maheen quickly got up and from the stool she was sitting on in front of her vanity and moved towards Mandira quickly bending down to touch her feet to take her blessings.

"May god bless you dear." She said caressing Maheen's cheeks. Maheen felt her heart clench, this gesture of care she had only associated with her mother, her mother who she had left behind, her mother who had let her marry a complete stranger.

Maheen blinked away the tears which threatened to form.

"I'm surprised and pleased that you know a little about our culture Maheen, I didn't not expect this from a Mughal Princess." Mandira said giving Maheen a smile.

"My mother was a Rajput Princess, we grew up learning and following both religions and were taught about both cultures ..." Maheen said her eyes on the floor.

"You can call me Rani Maa, just like my Aditya does."

"Okay Rani Maa." Maheen replied.

"Now bete there a few rituals you need to finish, first you'll have to go to our temple and take blessings from the priest, then is your pehli rasoi  you'll have to cook food for all the members of the family. We'll have your muh dikhai then and in the evening we have arranged for a small function in the honour of this wedding." Mandira said softly.

"I'm so excited." Mohini chirped.

"Don't just stand here and scream that you are excited." Mandira said shaking her head. "Help Maheen with everything."

"I will of course. Come on Bhabhi we'll go to the temple first and get done with it." Mohini said and looped her hand with Maheen's and pulled her out of the room Maheen had been since her arrival in Awadh.

"How far is the temple ?" Maheen asked Mohini as she walked into the wide corridors painted white and golden with intricate carvings on the wall panels.

"The temple ? It's inside the palace itself." Mohini chirped pulling Maheen along with her. "So every morning Maa does the puja and as a rule in the family all of us have to be present for it."

Maheen took in all the information as she tried to keep pace with Mohini. Maheen wanted to stand and stare at the beautiful architecture of palace, everything was so tastefully done.

Mohini dragged Maheen out of the living quarters into the main courtyard, it was as big as it had been in Agra, back at her own home, but this was nothing like home.

The entire courtyard was covered in green, all variety of exotic plants were spread around the length and breath and all the ends of the courtyard connected via small walkways through the maze of plants. A small fountain in the middle of the masterpiece which let out the pleasant sound of flowing water.