42. My love

Hearing the name, Ariana was startled. Never had she thought about the Windsors being related to anyone in the werewolf world. Professionally, yes. But on a personal level, much less to the Lancasters? It just seemed unbelievable. 

Her eyes met with Duke Lorenzo's, searching for confirmation, while Xavier listened to the old man praying for his parent's soul.

 The duke understood the silent question. He nodded yes in hope of discouraging Ariana to continue a relationship with Sean, if she had any. 

Ariana felt a sinking feeling in the stomach. 

"So what?" spoke Saoirse. "I bet neither Sean nor Xavier even know that they are related. It's not like they're brothers. Cousins, may be?"

First King Victor or the ghost of King Victor she had seen last night and now this. Ariana had many questions related to these bizarre revelations. Adding the questions related to Xavier's decisions three years ago, she had a lot of answers to find. Oh the Lancaster family was definitely fascinating, but in a bad way.

When the old man finished praying, he was taken away by some guards. Duke Lorenzo motioned other guards to leave as well before leaving himself. 

Xavier noticed that Ariana was deep in her thoughts with a frown on her face. Seeing that, a frown formed on his face too. He didn't want anything to worry her, especially in the morning. "Is something bothering you, love?"

Ariana snapped out of her thoughts. "You calling me love is bothering me."

"My father used to call my mother his love." Xavier explained.

"Your father also died for your mother, his mate. His wolf less mate."

Xavier's eyes widened. "How did you know that my mother was wolf less?"

Ariana scoffed. "Head Priest Narcisse. Unlike you, some people are honest in this palace. And very unlike you, your father loved his mate. It's a shame all you could learn from him is to call me love." She taunted.

Xavier smiled sadly and shook his head. "Ariana, you are putting your faith in those very people who were against you and me. Funny how the world works."

"Yes. Funny how you think you can call me with terms of endearment when you rejected me three years ago."

"I never rejected you!" Xavier corrected quickly. "I would never have rejected my soulmate."

Ariana narrowed her eyes. "Do not reduce the value of words like soulmate and love." She was about to turn around and walk away when her left leg twitched suddenly and she lost balance. 

Before she could hit the ground, an arm snaked around her waist and pulled her up with great force, making her body collide with his.

Xavier had stopped breathing. 

His heart was fluttering with the warm tingles he was feeling all over his body. He couldn't believe that his Ariana was in his arms. His heart convinced his mind that it was all real as the unmatched warmth and pleasure he was receiving could only be given to him by his mate.

He watched as Ariana's bewildered eyes travelled from his hand, which was gripping her waist, to his face. The bemused innocent look she was giving, he felt himself melting into a puddle at that. 

Slowly and cautiously, he lifted his free hand and placed it gently at the side of her neck, earning a small gasp from her. He, too, released the breath he had been holding for so long.

 His hand lowered to the spot where his mark on her was supposed to be. Knowing it wasn't there made him restless and insecure. All of a sudden, he roughly dragged his hand upwards to cup her cheek and pull her face closer to his. This ignited a passion between them as their breathing quickened.