Sign 8 Childhood Memories

"Well...Why do you hate boys?" Cyril asked.
"I just... Had a bad past with one," She crossed her legs and scratched them, thanks to all the mosquitoes in the grass. But Cyril didn't pay attention to them, 
"Well, just one boy can't define all boys,"

"Not if he is your father,"
"...Father?"
"My dad was a surfer," Heart looked ahead, "Who gained a lot of fame in his prime,"
"...Julian Willington?" Cyril matched their surnames. Julian Willington was a world champion in his prime! Cyril had watched him surf since his father forced him into surfing and that man alone was able to convince him that surfing isn't that bad after all. 

"You know him?" Heart asked.
"Yeah, he's a pretty good surfer,"
"But a horrible human being,"
"What do you mean?"

"Dad received success in his career while mom was his girlfriend and pregnant with me. They were engaged and they were going to marry after her delivery. But he cheated on her while she was pregnant. And when she fought with him, he broke up with her, dumping all the responsibility of raising a child on her. Due to the court's intervention, mom did get money from him every month for me, but it was too hard for her to raise me alone and she had to give up on -ballet. And she soon passed away because of prolonged weakness and ill-health. Then, my dad took me back to my stepmother and I've lived there ever since. But I will always hate him. He might be the best surfer ever, but he's the worst dad,"

"I relate to you," He looked down.
"You don't. You don't have any idea what it feels like-"
"My dad hits me a lot when he's home. PVC pipes, punches, kicks or literally anything that comes in his reach, he'd just throw it at me. Mom tells me he is just very strict. But to be honest, he seems to hate me,"
"That's physical abuse, you should report him!"
"I can't,"

"Why?!"
"Because of mom...I can't do this to her husband. She still loves him,"
"Doesn't she love you? She has to make a choice!"
"I don't want to put her into a situation like that," 
She looked at him, "It must be so hard for you. If I were you, I'd have either killed him or myself. Do you have thoughts like that sometimes?"

"Not at all," He smiled, "Because, there are people..." He remembered Edgar and Skyler, "That really love me. You may not want to exist right now, but someone is very happy that you do. So, I stay for them,"
"Count me to be one of them," She squeezed his hand as she looked into his blue eyes, 'Lenses again, huh?'

He smiled, "Okay,"
She smiled, "You're honestly so pretty. How can anyone even think of..." She pressed her palms over his face, "Hurting such a pretty face,"
He pulled his head back and chuckled, "Well, my dad thinks otherwise,"

She looked at his smile,
"The first time I saw you," She looked into his eyes, "You looked so pretty, but now that I look at you, surprisingly this dark light up your soul more than any light,"
Cyril looked surprised, "I know what childhood trauma can do to you," She moved closer to him and touched his face, this time it was a soft touch, a touch of security and not romance. She pressed her forehead against his, "It must've been so hard for you to grow up with a father like that. I wish I was there for you and saved you,"

Cyril bit his lip, 'Don't cry. The makeup will dissolve, don't cry,'
But tears won't stop, "Fuck," He covered his lips and clenched his eyes, it hurts physically. Severe early childhood trauma creates a child with equally intense coping mechanisms. These children, their innocence is taken away at an early age & they are in survival mode. Some children grow up stronger after such experiences, but some don't gain that thick skin. They become more sensitive and insecure, who cry more easily, who get overwhelmed at small things. 

Trauma doesn't always make you tough and untouchable.

Heart hugged Cyril as he sobbed silently. He had never cried like that before. No one ever brought it up. No one ever brought up the wounds that were left behind. He always tried to understand everyone around him, because it would mean the world to him if someone did that for him. He wrapped her arms around her and squeezed her tightly, "I'll take care of you," She whispered.

"It's a lot of work," He whispered back, his voice more masculine, and hoarse but she didn't focus on that, "Not to me. Not if it's you,"
He giggled. 
"Oh God, you're so cute," She whispered and he blushed.

"CYRIL! COME LET'S GO SURF!"
Cyril heard Edgar's voice and turned back, "RIGHT NOW?"
"There you are!" He said from the stairs, "Of course, mate," He looked at Heart, "Ooh, did I disturb you guys?"
"Not at all. I was going to get myself something to eat anyways,"

"Wanna watch Cy-Cyra take the turf,"
Cyril shook his head, gesturing Edgar to shut up.
"Oh, definitely!"

Cyril got on the waves with the board while Heart and some other people watched him from the beach.

Edgar and Skyler looked at them, "Cyril looks so happy," Edgar smiled.
"Mhm," Skyler crossed his arms, "They seem closer somehow. I wonder what they did while we were away,"
"It's the power of sex! My man finally got some juice!"
"No," Skyler smiled, "It's probably just...unfiltered communication,"

"Yo Edgar, hold my phone for me," Cyril passed him his phone and grabbed the surfboard. Edgar held the phone and watched him jump into the ocean with other guys, girls screaming at the shore while looking at the waves.

Edgar sighed, "Doesn't it make you feel good," 
Heart waved at Cyril as he surfed and he waved back at her with a smile, soon starting with his tricks.
"What?" Skyler asked.
She seemed impressed, not expecting him to be that good.

"When someone who has been bad with love...
Finally gets the love they deserve. It just warms my heart to see him like this,"
Skyler looked at Heart, "I do too. But sadly," He looked at Cyril, "It won't last,"
"Why would you say that?" 

"Why? Isn't it obvious, Edgar?
This relationship is built on a false identity. 

Cyra doesn't exist,"

-To be continued

Cyril Edwards 
Undercover Blue Riot