four

But the Emperor had truly given the Jeon boy's idea a thought, and had pondered upon it for a few days before deciding that was ultimately what he would do.

Not that he wanted a wife, but for the security of his throne. He wanted an heir.

So one early morning, when the sun had barely ascended to take its place in the sky, attendees from the palace were travelling all over the nation, announcing a spectacular event that was taking place, hosted by the Emperor himself.

A grand ball was to take place in three nights, and all young, unmarried ladies in the kingdom, regardless of their class or social status were to arrive. They were to wear their finest garments and be adorned with their most exquisite ornaments.

"I can't wait for the ball!" Cha Nari cried with utmost glee as she twirled around in her new hanbok, the latest fashion. "It's going to be magnificent. I bet all the soldiers will be there too! Think about it, Jangmi, what if I find myself a husband?"

Nari giggled lightly as her best friend shook her head, although, a small smile was upon her lips. 

"Perhaps," The Choi girl said softly. "But don't you think that there must be some reason for the palace to throw such an event? I mean, the palace hasn't held a royal ball since the passing of the Emperor's father,"

"I suppose, but who cares? As long as I get to dress myself up and find myself a potential husband, then I'm happy!" Nari grinned. "Now, this one in pink, or in blue?"

"Pink, definitely pink," Jangmi turned her attention towards the Cha girl. Oh how she too desired to have the latest hanboks. But she certainly did not desire the price of them.

...

"How do I look?"

Ahn Haneul and Choi Seomin gazed at their one and only daughter with loving eyes as Hanuel patted down the invisible wrinkles on the attire.

"You look lovely my dear," Haneul gushed. "Who knew that my old hanbok would suit you so well?"

"The moon amongst the stars m'dear," Seomin hummed, pressing a kiss on his daughter's soft cheeks. 

Jangmi beamed at her parent's response, smiling affectionately at the hanbok that engulfed her petite form. It was her mother's old dress, worn perhaps 10 years ago, and whilst it wasn't the latest fashion or trend, it was still as gorgeous as it had been all those years prior.

"Now," Haneul ordered. "Be polite, respectful and careful around the palace. The Emperor is hosting this remember. Stay with Nari at all times,"

Jangmi nodded in understanding, before placing one last kiss on her parents' cheek, and then taking her leave.

Off to the palace she goes.