~ 33 ~

Maya's POV:

Maya's POV:

I'll tell you everything, Avi. I know you'll get hurt in the end, but I have my own reasons. I thought in my mind, composing myself.

"Did you remember what you wrote in the letter about why I became distant from everyone?" I asked, looking into his eyes, to which he nodded his head.

"I was 12 when that incident happened. An incident that left a deep scar on my heart and soul. Remember, you and Anna always used to warn me not to trust people blindly? But I didn't pay heed to your words. Or, to be precise, I didn't understand your words properly at that time. But that was the first time in my life that I understood your words when I faced betrayal from my own friends. They turned their backs on me when I needed them the most. Avi, I was sexually abused by my senior."

I gulped a huge lump in my throat and closed my eyes. A lone tear escaped from my eyes. I opened my eyes and looked at him. He was looking at me wide-eyed.

"Yes, I was sexually abused by my senior, not once but twice; the first time he harassed me on the school bus. When I went to give the complaint, my friends said that I was the one who ran behind him as he was the popular guy in the school. They said that I was just making an issue to gain attention and popularity. How could they, Avi? Which girl will put her self-respect and her dignity at stake just to gain some stupid attention from people? For God's sake, I was just a 12-year-old kid. They spread false rumours throughout the school, making me a laughingstock in front of everyone. They left no stone unturned to mock me and degrade my character. No one trusted me when I made a complaint. My bus in charge informed my class teacher about that incident. I tried my best to prove that I was innocent, but how could I when my own friends stood against me? My class teacher warned me to change my behaviour, but the principal sir, trusted me, and that was enough for me. He gave that guy a warning, but could we change rogues like him?"

I shut my eyes in pain. I wish I could forget that day in my life and erase those scars.

"One day we were having a special class. I was sitting in my place and writing my notes, waiting for the teacher, when a girl came and told me that my teacher was calling me to collect some notes. I was getting bad vibes, but I chose to ignore them. I was going to the staff room when I was pulled into an empty classroom. I was shocked and terrified because there he was, the same boy who was responsible for all the mess, standing in front of me along with two of his friends. I was blank for a moment. I tried to escape, but they locked the door. He slapped me hard on my face and pulled my hair."

My body shivered as I rewound all those dreadful memories. Avi hugged me tightly and made me sit on his lap.

"He threw me on the ground and came up above me. I tried to push him, but his friends held my hands and legs."

I could never forget or forgive them in my life.

"He touched me inappropriately all over my body with his filthy hands."