May: Moving Out or Moving In?

Moving into the new house has officially commenced. Chris and Daphne signed the closing papers after their final walk through Wednesday. It was now Saturday and everyone available has met up to help the couple move.

Hazel was now in her 17th week. No one wanted her over doing anything so she baby sat the girls, keeping them occupied so they wouldn't get in the way of everyone moving boxes and furniture.

Daphne and Laura were in the middle of unloading at the new house. Daphne takes a rocking chair in that had originally belonged to Chris's dad. She carries it down the hall before reaching the room Chris has already deemed the future nursery. She places the chair down and takes a moment to sit. Glancing over at the wall she sees the sign Chris had hung almost two months ago.

Chris and Daphne lay holding one another after the first softball game of the season. "So, what did Dr. Kallen say?" Chris asks her.

Daphne sits up a little bit more. "I'm not pregnant. You were right. That little bit of spotting I had along with the awful cramping was just my body dealing with not being on my birth control anymore."

Chris tucks her hair behind her ear. "We knew that was the most likely reason. Does he think the cysts could be coming back already?"

"No. He says my body just needs time to reaclimate itself since I've been on birth control for almost fourteen years. Said I can still experience irregular cycles too," she tells him with a sigh.

Chris sits up in the bed to be eye to eye with his wife. "It's still early, Daph. Don't give up yet."

"It's hard when I already know how difficult it's going to be," she says as a single tear falls across her cheek.

  Chris gently wipes the tear from her face but goes back to cup her cheek in his hand. "You're going to be a mom, Daphne. I promise."

  She throws back the covers and angrily gets out of bed. "You can't promise me that, Chris!" She yells as she grabs her clothes before storming into the bathroom.

  He follows after her. "Yes, actually I can! You don't have to carry a baby to be a mom. You know that."

  Daphne turns back around to face him. "But it's what I want. I know you're right but I want it. I want the morning sickness. I want to feel the sweet nudge of my child. I want to gain forty pounds knowing that it's because I'm growing a child! I want to see you dote on me because you think I'm too fragile while I'm carrying your child. Can you understand that? Please?"

  Chris gives her space while she vents her frustration. But once she finishes he takes her in his arms and just lets her weep, covering his bare chest in tears.

  They stand in silence, finding comfort in each other's arms and warmth. Finally, Chris pulls back. "I'll try to understand better, I promise." He places a gentle kiss on the top of Daphne's nose. "It's only been a few weeks. Don't give up on me yet."

  "I'm trying," she whispers softly. "I just really want a little blue eyed boy with your big smile. And there's only one way for that to happen." She looks up at him through her dark lashes, pleading.

  Chris gently holds her face in the palm of his hands, lifting her face towards his. "Funny, because I want a sweet brown eyed baby girl with your freckles." 

  Daphne stays just another moment longer in silent prayer. Prayers for the future of their family, the future of their marriage. "Baby, I think we can go get another load," Laura calls out to her.

  "Coming, mom," Daphne says back as she gets up from the rocker, walks to the door and shuts it behind her.

~~~~~
Chris POV