1

published: feb 17 2022

I'VE ALWAYS DREADED summer. Summer is just two and half months of boredom for me. I work, I study, I repeat. On the contrary, I do those things anyway, it's just much more tedious during break. This year, Dad found work for me through a family friend. Babysitting an eight year old named Jackson. I don't mind children, so I accepted the job. Plus, the hourly pay is amazing, better than anything I've ever been payed. They want me on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I think the family is pretty rich, so they work a lot and attend big events.

My first day is tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. Dad gave me their address, and like any sane person, I searched it up on google maps. It's absolutely huge. I'll probably lose the kid, and then get lost myself.

My phone buzzes on the bed beside me and I put down my book, answering it. It's Dad.

"Hey kiddo!" he smiles cheerfully.

I wave at the camera. "Hi Dad."

"Remember it's-"

"My first day of work tomorrow. I know, Dad." I smile.

"Just checking kid. The Ashfords' are nice. I grew up with Margot and Danny, and their sons are great too." he assures me.

"Sons? Plural? I thought I was looking after one kid?" I narrow my eyes.

My dad chuckles. "You are. Their other son is much older. Actually, I think he's your age."

My age? Why do they need a babysitter then? Whatever. Who am I to complain when I'm being paid $30 an hour.

"I miss you Dad." I sigh.

His face softens "I miss you too kid. I'll be back for Christmas this year, I promise."

I swallow the lump in my throat. My dad works abroad a lot. It pays well for him, and I'm pretty sure it makes him happy. But, it seems to come with a lot of empty promises. I've spent the last two christmases with our elderly neighbours since Dad couldn't make it back. He says its because it pays well, but I think it's because I remind him of her.

My mom died when I was twelve. Dad found it really hard to look at me for a while after, because he said I looked just like her. The year after he got a new job position and started having to travel. I've been living on my own ever since. The Smiths' next door always check up on me, and Bev comes around for tea once a week, so I'm not completely alone.

"Alright Dad, I've got work to do." I clear my throat, forcing a smile.

"Okay El. Have a good day tomorrow." he blows me a kiss.

"Bye." I catch it, before hanging up.

I'm just about to throw my phone back down when it buzzes again. It's an email.

From: margotashford1@gmail.com

To: ekinsley@gmail.com

Subject Line: Job Commencing 06/08 (Aug 6)

Dear Elena,

I hope this email isn't too formal! But I thought I should give you the details for tomorrow. My husband and I will be at work when you get there, but our older son will watch Jackson for the hour before you arrive at 10 am. He should be able to let you in, but for future reference, the spare key is in the key safe at the side of the house, the code is 1984. That's also the code for the front gate.

Jackson doesn't have any allergies, but he is a picky eater, so sticking to simple meals/snacks would be easiest. He's moderately shy, so he may take a while to warm up to you, but don't be disheartened! He really enjoys drawing, and your father told us you were interested in art, so maybe the two of you can bond over that.

His bedtime is 8 pm. He prefers baths at night. He can get in and out by himself, but he may need help washing his hair because he gets scared that shampoo will get in his eyes. Once Jackson is asleep, you can do whatever you'd like. Help yourself to anything in the pantry, we have Netflix and Disney Plus, make yourself at home!

If our older son is home feel free to leave, since he'll be home with Jacky. If not, there's a spare room. You can use it to rest, or sleep over if it's more convenient, and we'll pay you for any overtime.

Speaking of which, your hourly rate is $30/hour and your hours are 10 am to 9 pm.

Sorry for the earful, but I hope that covers everything. Thank you so much Elena, we look forward to meeting you!

Best,

Margot and Danny.

I smile at the email. They sound like a lovely family. I still don't understand why they'd need a babysitter if they have a son that is perfectly capable of watching his brother, but I'm in no place to argue.

Finally putting my phone down, I go back to my drawing. My latest work is a woman. I've been working on her for a couple days, but she could easily be one of my best pieces.

I press play on my phone, Riot Van by Arctic Monkeys playing out through the speaker. This is my natural habitat, and i'm not mad about it. I'd much rather this than high school parties.

Picking up my pencil, I sigh. This is probably one of the last moments of peaceful bliss i'm gonna have before having to work for half the week.

Well, I'd better savour it.