Chapter 16

Lovesbitca8 TAKES CREDIT THIS IS HER WORK - FOUND ON AO3

There was a ringing in her ears as Draco stood from the armchair, taking her elbow and muttering his goodbyes. The boys were heavily distracted by now, and let them go without too much of a fuss. Hermione popped the grape into her mouth as Draco turned her around, suddenly terrified that someone might see and discover her secret.

She allowed him to drag her through the room, her eyes darting wildly to take in every girl on a lap, every girl on their knees, every girl laughing and drinking. Cho didn't glance at her again. Charlotte had moved on. She swept the room looking for more eyes, more fire, more grapes.

Not alone.

She'd used grapes to spell out those words on the Ministry floors once. To give a shred of hope to the fifty terrified, bruised girls that had crowded around her, preparing to live out their worst nightmares. But had it been a coincidence? Cho knew what the grapes meant, but how could Charlotte? Had Charlotte truly meant to offer her a symbol of hope? Hermione didn't remember her from the Ministry. Who was she?

Draco led her to a large fireplace, and a jar of Floo powder materialized before them. The flames turned green as he announced, "Malfoy Manor," and with a yank on her arm, the noise from the Lounge snapped out of existence, and she was in the cool, moonlit entryway of Malfoy Manor, with nothing but her heartbeat in her ears.

She breathed heavily, her mind spinning with the questions she needed to ask, the images she wanted to forget.

Draco dropped her arm softly. It fell limply to her side. She screwed her eyes shut, struggling to calm her breathing. She could feel his eyes on her, waiting, but the questions she needed answered felt too intimate and still too large for the Malfoy Manor entryway.

The faintest of touches on her lower back, and he wordlessly led her up the stairs.

The horrors of the evening floated up as they ascended. She shoved the disturbing images aside, forcing away all the questions that felt unimportant and too personal.

How could you just look the other way?

So you just sit there while your friends force those girls to open their mouths and thighs for them?

And the most shameful one, tugging at her chest —

Who was in your lap before me?

They'd reached her bedroom. Hermione pushed the door open with her fingertips and paused, turning around. Draco stood a few long paces away, staring at his shoes. The carpet. Anywhere but her. She took a deep breath and steeled herself, closing the doorway from her heart to her lips, focusing only on the cold questions in her mind.

"Who were all of those girls? I didn't recognize all of them from Hogwarts or the Auction."

Draco tucked his hands in his pockets, and she watched them shake once before stilling. He seemed resigned to answering her questions.

"Some are Muggles from Edinburgh. Some are from prominent families who have challenged the Dark Lord's rule. Some are young witches who were found assisting George Weasley."

Her eyes widened, but she soldiered on. "And they belong to the Carrows?"

"The Carrows have been assigned as the keepers of Edinburgh Castle. They maintain the grounds and host any gatherings like tonight. The girls in silver collars are Carrow Girls. They host the Lounge and are available for... entertainment."

She swayed on her feet, the memories of the 'entertainment' still fresh in her mind.

"And the girls in gold collars," she said, feeling the weight of it on her neck. "They are owned by Death Eaters," she inferred, leaning a hand on the doorway.