3

I LOOK AT my watch. The time reads 7:26 pm. We did quite a lot today. We played with Lego, played catch in the back yard. They have a full length pool, which wasn't surprising to be honest. I haven't seen Parker since this morning in the kitchen, which leads me to believe he went out. Not that I was particularly hoping to see him again. Because I wasn't.

"We should probably get you ready for bed." I look at Jackson behind me of the sofa. It's only then do I notice his eyes are closed and he's snoring softly. Oh.

I switch Teen Titans off and stand up. I pick Jackson up in my arms, not without struggle. Gosh, bodies are so heavy when they're limp. Just as I reach the bottom of the stairs, the front door opens. Parker looks at me, kicking off his shoes.

"Looks like you tired him out." he says, closing the door behind him and placing his AirForces on the shoe rail.

"Yeah well, I'm a lot of fun apparently." I smile, still slightly struggling.

Parker notices, and smiles.

"Here, let me take him."

His hand brushes against my arm as I hand over the sleeping child. He holds Jackson with ease, using only one arm to support him as he begins walking up the stairs. I walk up after him.

"You could've just woke him up, you know. He has to have a bath anyway." he glances back at me as I try to catch up.

"Yeah, well, I felt bad." I reply.

We reach the top of the stairs and Parker pushes open the first door opposite us on the right. Jackson's bed clothes are already neatly folded and out on the dresser, a fresh towel next to it.

I watch as Parker lays his brother down on his car shaped double bed. Jackson stirs a little, opening his eyes.

"Hey buddy," he ruffles his hair. "It's bath time."

Jackson nods, sitting up. He waddles over to the dresser, reaching up and grabbing the towel, before walking over to a door next to it. I glimpse inside as he pulls it open. Are you kidding? This kid has an ensuite?

I walk over, going in after him.

"I'll run it for you." I smile softly as him and he nods, sleepily rubbing his eye as he takes a seat in the armchair in the corner.

I'm pretty sure this bathroom is almost as big as my bedroom. I push the plug in at the bottom of the bath, turning on the tap. It's one of those ones where you can adjust the temperature since the water comes through one tap, so it's already a suitable heat. Lined up on the sink next to me is some bubble bath, along with some bath oils. I see why Jackson is such a content kid; I would be content if this was my life too. I pour in a bit of each of the liquids, stopping the tub once it's filled a little over halfway.

"Okay, here you go kid. Call me when you need me to wash your hair." I smile at him, pulling the door open.

"Okay." he looks up at me as he takes his socks off.

I close the door behind me, faltering a little as I see Parker is still here, lying back on Jackson's bed, his legs outstretched and crossed at the ankle. He looks up from his phone as I click the door shut behind me.

"Can I ask you a question?" I blurt, tucking my hair behind my ears.

"Fire away." he looks back down at his phone.

"Why did your parents hire me if you're here to look after your brother?" I sit on the end of the bed.

He looks up at me again.

"Because my parents don't trust me."

I frown. "Why not?"

"You ask a lot of questions, Kinsley." he continues whatever he's doing on his phone.

"And you're unreasonably vague, Ashford." I retort before I can stop myself.

His eyes draw back to mine again, the same look of amusement on his face that he had earlier. It's almost playful.

"We just met, Elena. I have every reason to be vague." he closes his phone, putting it down on his chest.

It's the first time he's said my name, and it makes me feel a way that I'm much too embarrassed to admit. Parker adjust himself, lifting his hips and I look away, feeling my cheeks begin to burn. I tuck my hair behind my ears.

"You're cute when you're nervous Kinsley."

I glance back at Parker, who is already looking at me, narrowing my eyes.

"Are you flirting with me right now?" I scoff.

"If that's what you think this is." he says, a smug smirk on his lips.

"Elena?" a little voice calls my name from inside the bathroom.

I stand up, finally dragging my eyes away from his as I walk over to the ensuite, pulling the door open a little and slipping in.

"Can you wash my hair please?" Jackson looks at me. He's surrounded in a mountain of bubbles so high they're covering him all the way up to his shoulders. Gosh, I need to go lighter on bubble bath next time.

I pick up his banana scented shampoo from the counter, squirting a little in the palm of my hand. His hair is already wet, so I begin to lather it in, making sure to keep it off his forehead. Once I've given his little curls a thorough wash, I take the small jug from the counter.

"Tilt your head back a little kiddo." I say.

He looks at me worriedly, but I give him a reassuringly smile, cupping the back of his head.

"I've got you. It's okay."

Jackson tilts his head back and I scoop up some water from the bath, before pouring it over his hair. He squeezes his eyes shut tightly, but I make sure not a drop of soapy water runs over his face.

"Okay," I tilt his head back up once I'm sure all the suds are gone. "We're finished."

Jackson opens one eye cautiously, and then the other. And then he smiles.

"Thanks." he gives me a thumbs up with his bubble covered hand and I laugh.

"No problemo. I'll bring your clothes in so you can get dressed once you get out." I turn, opening the bathroom door.

The space where Parker once lay is empty. My heart drops a little, but I push the feeling away, picking up Jacksons clothes from the dresser and bringing them to him.