fifty-one

"Lose them baby." Harry whispers against my lips before cranking up the volume of the music. He quickly pulls back, moving his seat as far back as it will go as I flex my fingers around the steering wheel and adjust my grip on it. I look over to Harry one last time mouthing I love you to him before flooring it.

The tires of my car and the car following us both screech as we take off, quickly accelerating as I weave through cars on the road in front of us, earning honks from pissed off drivers and high beam flashes to signal me to slow down but there's no chance in hell that is happening. I continue flying down this straight road, continuously checking my rear view mirror and see that even though I'm going about 138 miles per hour the suv chasing us is still closely behind.

Harry pulls his gun out from the waistband of his pants before rolling down the window and aiming at the car behind us. Loud curses fall from his lips as he's unable to get a good aim due to my constant movement of the car, unable to take a shot without risking hitting innocent people on the road who happen to be on road at the wrong time. Those innocent people swerve out of our way as I lay on the horn as a warning that if you don't get out of the way I'm not slowing down and I can't stop going.

The sound of bullets hitting the metal of my car rings over the blaring music as the SUV tailing us begins taking measures to bring us to a halt but that only fuels me to go faster. My brand new fucking car, now damaged because these assholes can't just leave us the fuck along. "Don't just sit there Harry! Do something!" I shout at him while fueled with rage and adrenaline.

"Parker, if I shoot back at them I risk shooting an innocent person! I'm not doing that, this road is too busy!" He shouts back at me with a stressed out look taking over the features on his face.

"Then tell me where to go!" I briefly pull my eyes from the road to take a look at him, his hands are tugging at the roots of his hair as he tries to come up with a plan, his chest heaving up and down as we continue to be shot at.

When an idea suddenly hits him like a train, Harry straightens up in his seat, pressing his back and head flush against the seat. He holds his gun out the window while looking out the side mirror, using it to aim as his left hand grips around the emergency brake. "When I tell you to, you are going to turn the wheel as far right as you can! Do you understand?" He shouts at me.

"Harry there's nowhere for me to turn!" A wave of anxiety takes over me because I'm in the far left lane right now. If I were to turn right from here there is a 90% chance I will take out another driver.

"Baby, do you trust me?" He instead asks, avoiding my question.

"Of course I do!"

"Then squeeze the steering wheel as tight as you can and turn now!" I quickly do as he says, cranking the wheel as far right as I can while Harry pulls up on the emergency brake, causing the tires of the car to screech loudly as a cloud of white smoke plumes up from behind the car. The back end drifts across the road as I find the road that Harry must have noticed beforehand, smoothly gliding onto the road I take over on the emergency brake for Harry as he beginnings firing repeated shots out the window towards the SUV as I swiftly crank the steering wheel back to swing the back end and push the emergency brake back down.

Everything feels like it's moving in slow motion as I quickly get the car back up to speed since we lost a majority of our momentum from drifting into our turn. The SUV that was tailing us takes the turn way too sharp and also rolls the car over, hanging onto the road by the edge of its 2 tires on the left side of the car. So many gunshots are going off I can't tell which are from Harry and which are from the car behind us, but as soon as my back window shatters I quickly pull the car over.