Chapter 40- Pure love

I opened one of my eyes, leaving the other closed with effort, all to avoid some of the powerful light crushing my head. Unfortunately, it was not enough. It took me some time to adjust my eye, but soon after I could see Jenni glancing with her head down to me, her body sat stiffly on the cream-coloured chair. Her face was dark with worry and a hint of sadness.

I smiled at her. "So you knew?" I asked with my innocent face, trying to warm Jenni's uneasy heart.

"Of course..." she replied seriously, though her features had by now some softness on them. "You should rest Lucreatia. I will tell you everything later." Jenni patted on my hands and prepared herself to reach for a small bell by my bedside. Both my eyes open and enlarge.

I was able to grab her hand before she reached the noisy object. "Not everything." I told with determination. Jenni stopped and looked at me, her iris slightly augmented by the surprise of my actions and resolution.

There was an urgency that boiled in me. It made me act and question. I needed to know why and what was happening. Sleep wouldn't come to me any other way unless it was nightmares trying to devour me. And they would, if I didn't know why. I am sure of it. 

Even more important, I wanted to know if I was going to a Temple's camp!

Jennifer stood there in silence. It was obvious through her expression and half-closed eyes what she thought of my reaction. I had to be savvier and... cuter.

"Please... sis..." I pouted and my hand grabbed hers in a tight grasp. She caved in a little and sat back on her chair, her arms and posture now more relaxed. Her eyes, however, were sad as she looked at me.

"Lucreatia, you should rest. You..." her voice failed. "... were very hurt, if not for our aunt... you would..." tears formed on her clear blue eyes, like a storm, her hands in a knot with each other. I took moment to notice her in a more careful manner, her navy blue dress... The one she had used before was gone, substituted by a purple one, barely put together. My heart sank with her tears and an appalling dread of knowing that Fanny would never allow her to walk like that. Where was Fanny...? she would have chided me for listing to the conversation and for making Jenni cry.

I wanted to ask, but first I needed to reassure Jenni. And so I jumped up on the bed, making her gasp at my attitude.

"I am an alright sister. Perfect you see?!" with this, I hopped once more to make my point across, noticing that there were no scars on my arms and that even without the warm light of the High Priestess, I felt great. I was alright, yes... I must be...

Jenni tried to put me down and it was in one of her efforts to push my arm that I heard the jingle of my golden bracelet. In the light I saw the crack that ran through one of the grey stones, making me stop to concentrate on the jewel.

"I meant to ask you later, but how did you break it, Lulu?"

"Not... ah...must be..." I turned to see Jenni on the ground, looking very much confused with her golden eyebrow arched. "Must have been when prince Francis blessed me, I did ear a crack... I think."

Jenni's face froze, her eyes turning at speed as if to grasp the meaning of my words. I closed in the edge between us, and I sensed she was about to ask something when, Fanny entered the room, gasping from her mouth.

"My Lady!" She came rushing to us with a steady stride, I got out of bed and hugged her. "Oh my Lady, I am so happy you are safe!" I could feel her warm tears and her body shaking. Felt as well the arms of my sister around us, she too crying with relief. "Such a miracle! Praise the Goddess! My lady, I am so happy but you really should stop jumping on the bed." Fanny patted my back as she scolded me with kindness.

We laughed, lingering just one more moment before separating from our embrace. "Well, I did believe we were going to be alright." I blurted. The girls looked at me, their eyes big in wonder. "Prince Francis did promise to help me." in the instant I said it, I feared it to be wrong and glanced at Jenni.

She stayed calm and pensive, her eyes away from us. Fanny was her dreamy self, putting her hands up at the thought of a promise from a prince. In her dreamlike dance, I saw e her wounded hands, which alarmed me.

"What happened to you, Fanny?" I clutched her, to see better how bad her wounds were. She quivered and with a short glance at Jenni, she formed an excuse while taking her hands away.

"Nothing much, the Manor was under attack... so we all are a little bruised. Nothing for you to concern yourself with." a lie. it was all lies. They would never tell me what went on.

I left her and went to the door, Fanny put an arm around mine to stop me. "Where are you going, my lady?"

"I am going to follow Aunt Belladona and see what she and the duke have to say to each other." I said as I turned to check on them. Jenni was still silent by the bed and Fanny was gasping aloud at me.

"My lady, that is so... unladylike." her bruised hand covered her mouth, and I ached.  Why was she hurt? what happened in here?? "Besides, I am not sure she went to see the duke."

That flared mine and Jenni's interest. "What?"

Fanny seemed underwhelmed at such attention, looking from me to Jennifer.

"Yes... I saw her going in the direction of his highness... at least from what I heard from the other maids... not that I was spying or anything..." her cheeks were flushed and her eyes down.

"Is highness?" I asked.

"Yes, his highness prince Cedric."

A showdown between Belladona and Cedric!!! How excited are you about it??

Also, this chapter is short but sweet (I hope) be free to tell me what you think!!