Chapter 5

"I know, sweetie. The first couple years are always the hardest." She replied, lightly resting her hands on the tops of your shoulders with a tender smile. "It just takes some time for people like us, outsiders, to get used to their way of life."

This wasn't the first time she had told you this and it most definitely wouldn't be the last. Sometimes you forgot she wasn't just a mother, she was a person who has been brainwashed so meticulously you had no doubt all of the work that had been done on her had no way of coming unraveled. And you would be damned if you were going to let that happen to you too. You liked her a lot, and she liked you too. But you had no doubt in your mind that if it came down to it, she would never help you escape. Most likely, she would turn you over to her husband and son. You couldn't trust anyone, not even the person who had once been like you.

"I hope so." You lied through your smile, gently squeezing her wrist in affirmation. Ever since you had stopped crying, it had become easier to lie.

The sliding glass door off of the kitchen slid open with a click, the scent of cigarette smoke wafting into the kitchen. Jungkook's father stood in the doorframe, peering into the kitchen and settling his gaze on you and his wife. He fixed you with a stern look, the look in his eyes practically freezing you to your spot like a deer in headlights.

The only ones you were fooling were Jungkook and his mother. That much was obvious.

"Baby!" Jungkook called, his bunny smile and doe eyes catching your attention from behind his father's shoulder where he was standing on the porch.

He looked so relaxed compared to the first few weeks you had spent with him. Had you already lulled him into the belief that you were finally becoming compliant to his demands? You couldn't be too sure. He was leaned back against the deck fencing, his elbows propped up behind him on the top of the fence. His one leg was a little stretched out in front of the other one as he looked at you, the golden cast of the setting sun bathing his lithe form. He looked like any other normal guy on vacation at the lake: a pair of ripped jeans tucked into thick boots and an open flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. Your eyes lingered over the tattoos that decorated his arm, he really would have been any girl's dream guy. It was a shame that he had to warp that into a nightmare.

Jungkook's smile widened eagerly as he motioned for you to join him. Outside.

Your heart began to flutter in your chest, it felt like the wings of a hummingbird thrumming in anticipation as the latch of its cage was lifted. You tried your best to calm yourself, you remembered what happened the last time you had fled into the woods, it had only taken mere moments for him to find you once again. You had not a doubt in your mind that Jungkook knew these forests better than anyone. You couldn't run, not just yet. You hadn't fooled everyone. You were sure that a better opportunity would arise.

You took a calming breath and quickly dried your hands off before approaching the door. Jungkook's father remained in the doorframe, his presence casting a shadow over you. He scared you far more than Jungkook did, and for the first time in your life you were willing to run into the arms of your captor if it meant he would keep you out of the way of his father's wrath. That was the one thing you were sure of when it came down to it - Jungkook would protect you if he was in love with you like he claimed to be.

Your head was bowed low, your eyes fixed to your bare feet and the tile beneath them. You looked like a rabbit - you remained still like it would stop the curious predator from approaching.

"Don't try anything if you know what's good for you." He whispered lowly, his voice was gravelly and deep in his chest. The smell of smoke wafted under your nose as he stepped to the side, allowing you access to the deck. You flinched from his sudden movement before hurriedly rushing past him and outside.