Kageyama Tobio - Years Gone By

Au: Regular

Au: Regular

Requested

Tags/Warnings: Fem/GN! Reader (They're on the girl's team but I still use neutral pronouns)

Word Count: 2k+

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

As much as your friends liked to tease you about it being an obsession, you thought of it as admiration, inspiration, maybe a crush if you thought hard about it. You first watched his games in middle school. Stumbling upon it as your friends dragged you along to see the captain play.

It hadn't been long after, that you started attending games just to stand among many roaring fans as you tried to mimic the player's positions. Hands up in the air, fingers splayed and back arched, it felt like dancing as you moved behind the crowd and followed the captain's motions with neer perfection. No cheers, or hoots, or howls. You stayed silent as you danced along with the volleyball team's captain.

It was a routine, a great one until said brunette got injured and was swapped out. Although startling at first, you recognized the captain's movement's within the new setter. They were near-identical, but even from your viewpoint at the top of the stands, you could begin to point out the differences. This setter was sharper, more direct, exacting his poses to the tips of his fingers.

You bought your own volleyball that afternoon.

Although it hadn't been your intention, you felt your heart stutter when you walked between buildings of the Karasuno grounds and saw the same black head of hair glaring at the vending machine that you had admired from the volleyball court years prior.

Did you know Kagaeyama had gone to Karasuno? No. But the opportunity seemed too good to be true. Heart fluttering with excitement, you pulled out your coins for the vending machine as his purchase hit the metal floor at the bottom.

"Kageyama!" You smiled as you slipped the coins in and punched in your request, apple juice. "You came to Karasuno, too?"

His nostrils flared as he punched the straw into his carton of milk. "Who are you?"

"(L/N), (Y/N)," you introduced happily. "I went to Kitagawa Daiichi, too. I watched all of your games, you inspired me to play." Your hand smacked your bag, which let out a stiff, hollow thump.

Kagayama's face twisted into something you couldn't read. "Cool. Leave me alone." He began to turn away, heel digging into the dry dirt.

"Wait, wait!" Waving your arms wildly, you ran around the tall boy, skidding to a halt in front of him. "I want to be a setter. I was wondering if you could teach me a bit."

He huffed through his nose, before looking back at the school's nearest entrance and walking. His shoulder hit yours, making you stumble. "No, get a real coach."