Chapter 22: Another Beginning

And Summer days passed by just like that.

It was the tenth day and two sat outside sitting on the boarded floor of the engawa once again. It easily became one of their favorite spots to just rest and talk to one another. Throughout this summer, they learned a lot and made wonderful memories.

Fishing, sightseeing together, doing summer homework, and training. Yes, training.

--

"You want to train?"

"Well..." Shin explains, "I need stamina."

So the two would go on morning exercises together, Haruto coaching him. Even after all the training, Shin still felt crushed mentally and physically. He was more tired than ever and he just wanted to pass out.

"It's okay Shin, you're still starting after all." Haruto consoles him. "Let's take a break!"

The important thing was progress, so there's that.

--

"Wah, Summer passed by so fast Shin." Haruto cries. "I guess that happens when you have fun..."

"Silly." Shin lightly pinches Haruto's cheek. "You sound as if we're not gonna be together after summer."

"No. That can't happen." Haruto panics. "Shin, do you want that to happen?"

"Of course not, but we're going to have to work on our...separation issues." Shin looks away, bring his knees up to his face to hide. Yes, they believe that they have to work on that.

The two planned to leave from the countryside tomorrow. Just so they could rest on the eleventh and twelfth day and prepare for school. Haruto was also eager for their return since Shin will be personally meeting his parents for the first time.

"So how should we introduce me?" Shin asked. "They already know that...between us...we...ahem..."

"Just do what you're comfortable with Shin. If you want to be introduced as a friend still, I don't mind, and my parents won't push you for anything." Haruto replies, resting his head on Shin's shoulder. Shin didn't even flinch or make a small movement. Even now, he's still surprised that his body isn't reacting the way it did in the past anymore.

"Okay...Thank you."

"Is there still something eating your mind?" Haruto asks.

"What if they don't like me? What if I'm not what they're expecting from the way you talk about me-"

"Hey." Haruto gently grabs Shin's arms and looks him in the eye. "Just be yourself. Don't force yourself to become something you're not."

"But...They're your parents." Shin replies. "I at least want them to approve of me if we're going to be together."

"Oh Shin." Haruto looks struck, his lips trembling. "That means a lot to me..."

The fact that Shin is trying really hard means a lot to him. After that, the two simply continued to chat the day away, talking about random things that come to mind. It was Haruto doing most of the talking, but Shin had become very responsive.

And so their day went by normally, just staying at home.

Soon, night fell and two sat outside once more, well, just Shin. Haruto ran off somewhere, saying he was going to get something quickly. So Shin was left by himself, staring at the koi. A few minutes passed by and Shin heard Haruto call him.

"Shin! Look what I bought!"

Haruto was holding a bucket of water with the other hand and some sparklers.