Chapter 32: Winter With You

"In the future, if the two of you are still together. I look forward to seeing you again."

Snowfall.

A man in a brown coat reaches out his hand to catch the snowflakes. He breathes out, a cool fog forming around his mouth. He tilts his head slightly to snuggle into his thick black scarf, rubbing his gloved hands together. He stood right outside a cafe, observing the people go about their day and preparing for winter festivities.

"Shin-kun! Over here!" A familiar and cheerful mop of light purple hair was waving from the distance, walking briskly.

Shin smiled, waving back at his friend.

"Kei-san."

"Woah! It's been so long, Shin-kun!" Kei says, examining Shin from head to toe. "You've gotten taller!"

"You too." Shin replies.

They've grown a bit taller and looked matured. Shin still maintained his hair length while Kei decided to grow his out, already reaching his nape and tied into a low ponytail with a red scrunchie.

"I missed talking like this, wuu..."

"We just called each other a few days ago."

"But we haven't met personally for almost three years now!" Kei frowns, messing with his wool gloves nervously. "I guess we've really been that busy, huh?"

"Indeed." Shin nods. "But we've been slowly settling down. What about you?"

"Oh yeah! Everything's going well! I already told you on the phone, but it's really fun working as a designer. Making stationery is so enjoyable and fulfilling."

"I'm happy for you, Kei-san."

"Thank you Shin-kun! Let's go inside the cafe now, it's getting even colder."

The pair of friends entered the local cafe together and fixed their order at the counter. They then go over to find a free table by the window. They sat down, chatted to catch up, reminiscing about the past.

Once their order arrived, they removed their small articles of clothing. Kei removes his gloves and red scarf, while Shin only takes off his gloves and that caught the attention of Kei. Kei gasps, eyes landing on the silver ring on Shin's left ring finger. "S-Shin-kun, is that-!?"

"Oh, Haruto gave this to me."

"Speaking of him, where's Haruto-san?" Kei asks, dumping a cube of sugar into his coffee. "It's weird seeing you alone, haha...Back in high school, the two of you stuck together like glue, and I'm still mad at myself for not figuring out that you guys were in a relationship."

"Haruto's working right now, so he couldn't come." Shin answers, "And you still haven't gotten over that?"

"No." Kei closes his eyes and raises his fist in regret, but there was a sudden fire in his eyes. "So that's why I locked myself in my room and had a romance movie marathon to train myself!"

"..." 

"I bought romance novels, spoke to a dating coach and listened to love songs almost 24/7!"

"...You're really dedicated." Shin felt like he was going to vanish because of the blinding light. Kei is extremely determined to learn more about romance and there was no stopping him. Shin listens to Kei silently as he shares his favorite movies and novels.

As years passed by, Shin got more comfortable speaking to friends, especially Kei, whom he can have a more casual conversation with and be himself. They could even call each other by their first names now, but Shin insists to call Kei with a -san out of respect.