thirty-six

Turning on the faucet, I bent over the bathroom sink and splashed cold water on my face. I rinsed my mouth and brushed my teeth, perhaps for the thousandth time that morning. Oral hygiene wasn't my main concern at this point but rather the weird taste that lingered in my mouth right after vomiting. If i didn't quickly get rid of it, I would be kneeling by the toilet bowl in no time.

After I finished brushing my teeth, I gargled a strong minty mouthwash to get rid of the smelly odour. But at the end, nothing helped. Absolutely nothing at all seemed to cure my sickness for the past couple of days and my mind was starting to race like a roller coaster ride going up and down hills, in the dark.

Slowly and carefully, I looked up to my reflection in the mirror and I shook my head in frustration. I looked wrecked. Completely and utterly wrecked like a beat-up barbie doll. Puffy bags under my eyes, chapped lips, and sickly underweight. I felt like crying but no tears could be produce due to dehydration. My stomach started to growl, letting me know that it hadn't been getting enough of the feeding but more of the urge to clear out.

Dropping my head, I sighed, and then my glance shifted toward the door when a soft knocking could be heard.

"Miss?"

I slowly made my way toward the door and unlocked it, allowing Pyper to step in. I looked at her and she looked at me before sadly exhaled.

"D-did he call?" I murmured under my shallow breath and Pyper looked down at me. Pity was written across her face.

"No, Miss. I-I am so sorry." She said.

"Don't be." I mumbled. Her answer was nothing I hadn't already expected but seeing how anticipated she was, I couldn't help but grew nervous too, "Is that it?"

My eyes dropped to the plastic bag in her hand and she gave me a slight nod. She handed me the bag and I took it from her before emptying the contents of the bags onto the counter top.

"You can go now." I told her and she hesitated a little before said.

"I will be in the kitchen if you need anything."

"Thank you." I lightly smiled at her and as she was about to turn around, I spoke, seriously and clearly, "Pyper. You will tell nobody about this, right?"

"B-but if Master asked-"

"You will say nothing." I said, sharply and she quickly got it. Or at least, acted like she did before exited the bathroom, leaving me with the marble countertop full of pregnancy tests.

Today counted the total of one full week since the day Liam and I returned home from our trip to Paris. It sounded not so long ago yet, Liam's disappearance had been making my days and nights passed by in a slow-motion. Everything was dragged out, including the day I was supposed to get my period.

The second I realized I was late, all the symptoms and weird sickness came back, hitting me hard like a truck. I didn't know who to blame. My carelessness or the fact that I had been letting other people's thoughts and words get inside my head. But after so many days of convincing myself that I had the common flu which according to Pyper and the few other maids in the house, it had been passing around our neighborhoods due to sudden weather changed, I started questioning everything and literally everyone. Travis also said the other day that my late period was mainly caused by my own stress and that I needed to stop overthinking my issue with his boss so much as Liam would have called me back in a heartbeat, the second he had the time.

But the truth was, it had been over a week now since the day he left me and guessed what?

He never had the time.