Maternal Hate

'When is a monster not a monster? Oh... when you love it.'

....

Despite the masculine choice of clothing for the evening celebration, Narcissa Malfoy looked radiant. The pantsuit was a choice, selected for a purpose, a very cunning one at that.

Narcissa Malfoy was a Slytherin after all.

As the female host for the occasion, she had certain responsibilities and a reputation to uphold. There was a fine line between elegance and power and, Narcissa Malfoy had managed to achieve it without seemingly much effort at all.

Power, after all, was one big show.

All purpose and intent, hidden within obscure glances, garments, and gems.

"I got you so wrong..." Narcissa Malfoy breathed out heavily.

Daphne couldn't take her eyes off Mrs Malfoy's face as the heavy words fell from her mouth. The declaration was dripped with disbelief and betrayal. An image of vulnerability slipped upon Narcissa's features, crippling her dominance. The whole picture made Daphne feel very uncomfortable; never had she seen Mrs Malfoy look so exposed.

"What I just saw..." Narcissa tried, pointing back to the hall, the memory of what happened still burnt into her memory.

Hadrian could see the varied flicker of emotions passing across Narcissa Malfoy's face.

Horror. Anger. Sadness. Regret.

In response to these emotions, a deep pounding hit Hadrian squarely in the chest. It was a combination of childish sorrow and a deep sense of loss. A feeling that had now become so very familiar to him.

He had disappointed her.

A stirring of anger attempted to purge all the feelings of loss and guilt. It was a tool of self-preservation - a childish tactic to make him survive the moment. Anger was special that way, it was the only emotion you could exploit to mute all others.

"And what exactly did you see?" Hadrian seethed, but it felt abnormal, appropriated, and wrong.

Daphne watched as Hadrian's eyes narrowed, the swirling green almost glowing in the dark night. The black lining of his eyelashes ignited their luminosity, making them seem supernaturally iridescent.

Hadrian turned towards Narcissa Malfoy, taking a confrontational step in her direction. Daphne's heart clambered up into her chest, rising to her throat in sheer panic. She could tell by Hadrian's fixed jaw and taunt muscles that he was pissed. Daphne didn't know what he would do, she didn't particularly want to find out either. Daphne moved her feet, teetering carefully on her heels as she whipped around and stood in his path. She placed her small hand on his chest, pushing him to a stop.

"Hadrian," Daphne warned quietly.

"I should've known..." Narcissa bit out, watching the two of them carefully.

Daphne turned to face Narcissa, taking a protective stand in front of Hadrian. Hadrian wished she hadn't. He knew she was just trying to help him, but it would only confirm Narcissa's newfound belief that he was manipulative and controlling, so much so, that his friends would put themselves in the firing line and take the brunt of the accusation.

"There's been a misunderstanding," Daphne smiled tightly.

Hadrian watched as she nervously tucked her dark hair behind her ear, smoothing it down over the back of her shoulder. The glossy waves fell flawlessly, brushing against the curve of her waist. The action seemed ordinary; most people would assume she was simply making herself more presentable. She was from a noble family after all. But Hadrian knew better than that. Daphne was a good liar, but everyone had a tell. It just so happened, that he knew all of hers.