CHAPTER 30 ↠ dancing

The days seemed to flew by in New York and Bea had plenty to keep her occupied

The days seemed to flew by in New York and Bea had plenty to keep her occupied. Not only did she continued to help Michael with work, she'd still play the piano, paint, go out picture houses and theaters, to concerts and to parties.

After trying to explore New York on their own for a bit, Bea and Michael had made some friends.

They were invited to a party by Jack Bradley. The invitation regarded Bea and was extended to 'Mr. Gray'. It had been sent to the hotel's reception and was passed onto them.

Michael wasn't keen on going. Bea was well aware that for whatever reason Michael held animosity towards Jack and he had no intention on getting to know him. Still, Bea wanted to have more company than just Michael on this city and there could be only positives on getting some acquaintances.

Bea could only think of how they wouldn't be so isolated, could get help more easily in different matters and could be invited to even more parties if they made some friends.

So, upon Bea's persistence and also her saying that she'd go alone if Michael still refused, they went together.

"I don't understand why he invited us to a party..." Michael says as he puts on his jacket.

Bea chuckles at Michael's distrust without reason of Jack's good intentions.

"He is from England, just like we are, and he probably has guessed that we can use with some more company. Locals, Americans... someone we can go to when we are in need of something."

"We don't need anything, Beatrice" Michael affirms.

"You can never be sure. You never know when moments of distress are going to come," Bea says as she approaches him.

She stands in front of him, blocking his view of the mirror where he was gazing at his reflection.

"Still... a party at night and no dinner beforehand..." Michael says finding yet another fault where Bea could see none.

"Don't be so stubborn and just give in and admit he is a kind man."

"We'll see what he intends with this party."

Bea laughs, a good, strong laugh, that puts a smile on Michael's displeased face.

"It's a party, Michael. Friends invite friends to parties."

"Friends and people they intend to get advantage of."

Bea breathes in deeply and then retouches Michael's tie.