2. Zor-El

TWO

What you complain about every day might be the life people are begging to have

Putting up pretty paintings on her new wall, she smiled brightly at how it looks. A one-bedroom flat that looks like what she always had in mind, making her feel accomplished. Not to mention, she just opened a library cafe she has always wanted.

Her mother also helped her put every piece of furniture in place and once it all came together, she breathed out in satisfaction.

Kara is living the life her thirteen-year-old self dreamed of.

Her mother and she decided to move back to the UK after five years of being away; an abrupt departure they did years ago due to the terror that hit their life.

"Should we order out?" her mother suggested from outside of her bedroom.

"Yes, please. Can we order Hainanese chicken rice?"

"Ooh yeah, we haven't had that in a while," her mother replied cheerfully.

She opened the window of her bedroom and stuck her head out, inhaling the beautiful scent of the afternoon while keeping her gaze outside — the beautiful view outside. She then closed her eyes, feeling nothing but the occasional wind and noise outside.

"What are you doing?" said her mother, chuckling.

"Nothing," Kara replied sheepishly, putting her head back inside.

"Oh don't stop on my account," her mother teased her.

"Mum," she sighed.

Being back home feels weird because, for a while, Singapore was her home. She grew accustomed to it but now, she's back here.

The first thing she and her mother did was visit their old house, seeing it from the outside. After what happened those years ago, her mother immediately sold their house and moved across the country.

It was bittersweet as it's her old house; she grew up there, that's when she made most of her memories with her parents, but sometimes you just need to let go because the pain — the reminder is too much.

The next seven months were mostly spent in her cafe, a place where she felt most content with joy. The smell of coffee and pages of the book sent her on cloud nine. Not to mention the giggles and jokes of tiny children from Kara's reading and writing class (something she opened a month after her cafe was opened) make most of her day.

She can't be any more fulfilled to find the best, most patient people to teach those children but most times, she joined as well. Sure she can't pick a favorite but there's a five-year-old girl named Sonia who Kara absolutely adores. Not to mention, the girl is her first student in her little reading and writing class.

Kara could tell she has a bit of trouble concentrating but the girl never backs down. Not to mention the constant support her mother, Sarah, is giving Sonia warms Kara's heart. What they have truly inspired Kara to be a good mother like Sarah.

Kara also read a lot in her cafe, romance books. Call her a hopeless romantic, she doesn't care. She is a hopeless romantic.

She dated two boys in her muggle school in Singapore but neither lasted. Both were guys she settled for not completely in love with. Sometimes in her little moments there, she remembered the time she spent with a dorky bespectacled boy.

"Kara! Kara! I got an A!" Harry sprinted to the Ravenclaw table.

"Wow, I'm proud of you little Flash!" Kara ruffled his hair. "Divination is hard isn't it?"