Chapter 36

I wake up, for the second time today, to an empty bed. I shuffle out from under the covers and quietly walk over to the crib only to find that empty as well.

My heart starts to race and my breathing becomes shallow. They're gone.

"Luca?" I call out frantically.

"Bathroom il mio angelo," he calls back from behind the closed door.

I cross the room and swing open the door. Luca is kneeling next to the tub while Elle plays with the bubbles. I let out a sigh of relief upon seeing them.

"What's wrong?" he asks with furrowed brows.

I plop down on the tile next to him and lean my head on his shoulder.

"I couldn't find her," I tell him.

"I didn't mean to worry you," he replies as he pours a cup of water over Elle's head, "I just figured I could do this."

"It's really sweet actually," I reply, smiling to myself.

Luca drops the cup into the bath and wipes his hands on a small towel. He turns to face me and gently cups my cheek.

"After today, it will all be over," he smiles softly.

"Please come back safe," I say, barely above a whisper.

"I will always come back to you il mio piccolo angelo," he assures me.

He closes the gap between us, pressing his lips against mine. Our lips glide together in a needy kiss and we pull apart smiling.

"Elle needs you too," I remind him.

He chuckles and turns his focus back to the baby. She laughs while she splashes around. Luca pulls the drain and the water starts to disappear. He scoops her out of the tub and wraps her in a towel.

"Here," I say as I stand and extend my arms towards him.

Luca shakes his head and moves past me towards the door. I follow him into the bedroom where he places her on the unmade bed.

"Go get yourself ready," he says, "I can take care of the baby."

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"I raised Enzo on my own," he informs me.

I hum in response. That feels like something that should have come up before. But I'm not sure what else I would expect from Luca, he isn't too open about his past or his family now that I think about it.

"I need clothes," I tell him, "I can't keep wearing yours."

"But you're so cute in my clothes," he replies, glancing over his shoulder to wink at me.

My cheeks flush and I roll my eyes. He grabs the small bag someone packed for Elle and starts to pull out some clothes.

"Luca, I'm serious. I want to wear my own clothes," I say as I cross my arms.

"I'll have clothes here by the time you're out of the shower," he replies.

I return to the bathroom and turn on the hot water. I take off his clothes and toss them into the hamper before stepping into the steaming shower. The hot water isn't able to wash away my worries today though.

Luca and his men are going to attack the Russian compound. I know that Luca has more men and likely more guns, but I can't help but to worry.

What if Gio gets hurt? Or Antonio? What if something happens to Luca? What if it all goes terribly wrong and they all die?

No. I need to stop. They're going to be fine, they always are. They're going to end this, just like Luca said.

I turn off the water and wrap myself in a towel. I return to the bedroom and almost trip over Elle crawling right past me. Luca is over by the windows on the phone. He looks over his shoulder at me before hanging up the call.

"I hung a few things up in the closet for you," he says, walking closer.

"Thank you," I reply quietly.

I go into the closet and grab a simple sundress and panties. I change quickly and tie my hair up in a ponytail. I bring the towel back to the bathroom to hang up and when I turn around Luca is leaning against the doorframe.

"What's wrong?" he asks, pushing off the door to stalk closer.

"Nothing," I shake my head.

He steps closer and I step back until my back presses against the wall. He places his hands on either side of my head, trapping me in place. I look up into his ocean blue eyes and take a deep breath.

"I don't want you to get hurt," I say carefully.

"Don't worry about me bella," he replies.

"Luca, I'm serious," I insist.

"Il mio piccolo angelo," he chuckles, "I will come home to you tutto in un unico pezzo."
(All in one piece)

I nod and he breaches the gap between us. His one hand drops to my waist, pulling me flush against him as our lips press against each other. I wrap my arms around his neck and tug at the hair at the nape of his neck. His tongue glides across my bottom lip and I gladly grant him entrance. Our tongues battle for dominance, a futile effort as I happily give in to him.

We pull apart with the express purpose of breathing. I shift slightly but Luca keeps his tight hold, our noses brushing as we look at one another.

"Giovanni is not coming with us today. He will stay here with you and Elle," he says.

Well, that's one less person to worry about.

"Are you bringing Antonio?" I ask.

"Of course," he replies.

"Be careful please," I practically beg as I wrap my arms around his waist, pressing my cheek into his chest.

"Angelo," he says softly, his one hand stroking down my hair.

"Luca, please," I insist, "non so cosa farei."
(I don't know what I would do)

"I promise," he replies, "Sarai sempre la mia casa."
(You will always be my home)