17. lightning in a bottle*

Sometime around 3 pm on the day after Harry's beating, there was a knock on my door

Harry and I had been in a weird place all day, we'd been almost playful with each other. He gave me two orgasms but he also just laid on my couch most of the day while we binge-watched cooking shows. I had groceries delivered and he made us an incredible lunch that we'd watched on t.v. It was scarily domestic and shockingly pleasant. We just spent the day hanging out.

It was different than the days we'd spent together in college or back in high school, it wasn't like we were taking care of each other, it wasn't as tender as those moments. However, it was certainly more tender than a quick fuck over my bathroom sink or bent over the arm of the couch. It was like we were actual friends, enjoying each other's company.

Very weird, to say the least.

When the knocking started, we both jumped. We were each on opposite ends of my couch, I was curled up with a blanket and Harry had his feet on my coffee table again. We both jumped and looked toward each other, I think we both assumed who would be at the door.

I had texted Liam earlier in the day to see if he was okay, but I hadn't gotten a response. I suppose I wasn't really expecting one.

I told Harry to stay put, that I'd handle it. The last thing I wanted was another brawl in my living room. Naturally, he argued with me, telling me that we didn't know how Liam would react to seeing him here.

"Well, then why don't you go hide?" I yelled at him in a whisper and pointed toward the bedroom. He rolled his eyes at me, but to my surprise, he did get up and go hide.

Guess Liam had hurt him a little more than he let on.

I made my way to the door, my stomach was in knots, my hands were sweaty, and my breathing was shallow. I was scared. I didn't know how sober Liam reacted when he was angry, but from the looks of Harry...it wasn't pleasant.

I didn't bother to check the peephole, I just cracked the door open and peeked my head outside. What I found outside was a surprise, to say the least.

Niall looked awful. His eyes were red and puffy, his face looked sullen and there was no warmth to him. "Ni?"

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I was so fucked up, I didn't mean to. I swear Ash, I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry. Harry's gonna kill me and I can't believe I did that, I would never talk about your sex life like that, I'm so sorry. Fuck!" He was getting panicked while he talked, working himself up too much.

I pulled him inside and then pulled him to a hug, wrapping my arms around him tightly. I was mad, truly pissed even, but I didn't want him to panic. It was going to get ugly enough.

Sure enough, as soon as Niall opened his mouth to apologize again, Harry flung open the bedroom door and charged straight for us.

"Harry, stop. Stop! No, you two aren't doing this here. " Harry's eyes were just rage. You could see the hurt, betrayal, and anger on his face.