Chapter 26

Lovesbitca8 TAKES CREDIT THIS IS HER WORK - FOUND ON AO3

"Viktor!"

Minister Grubov grabbed him by the shoulder. He was just as tall as she remembered, outfitted in smart, blood-red robes. He kept the beard he'd grown when she'd seen him last. Adrenaline swept through her veins as she took him in, her heart pumping so fast she was lightheaded.

"Have you met Lucius Malfoy?"

"No. I do not think I have had the pleasure to." Viktor extended his hand, and Hermione watched Lucius's shrewd eyes flicker over him before accepting his greeting.

"Mr. Krum." Lucius's other hand slithered around her ribs to grab her opposite arm, keeping her tight to his side. "I was sorry to hear that the international leagues have been suspended. My family and I so enjoyed watching you play."

"So vos I. But I am thinking it vos the right time to turn to politics, no?" He rumbled a warm chuckle. "The views are much nicer here," he said just as Charlotte returned, offering drinks with a flutter of her lashes.

Hermione watched him take a drink from her with an unfamiliar leer. He turned back to Lucius, eyes still skimming over Hermione's head as if she wasn't there.

This was the reason she couldn't miss tonight's party. It had to be.

"And every girl here is free for a private audience?"

"Ah, the Silver Collars," Minister Grubov said, giving a tap to his neck. "The Gold Collars are negotiable. Is that right, Lucius?"

"Most of them," Lucius said, with a small squeeze of her wrist.

Hermione watched Viktor's eyes flicker to her and waited, her breath shallow and mind dizzy. His eyes widened as he pointed at her.

"Is this the Granger girl? I heard she vos caught, but I did not know who took her."

The Granger girl. Hermione could feel her heart pounding.

"Yes." Lucius swirled his glass lazily. "She is my son's property." And with a lilt of his voice and a tilt of his head, Lucius focused like a shark. "I believe you were acquainted with her during your time at Hogwarts?"

Viktor smiled thinly. "She vos my date to the Yule Ball. Good for appearances, but she stepped on my toes all night." He looked down at her, letting his eyes trail over her skin. "I have not seen her in four years, but she has certainly grown more attractive."

It hadn't been four years. It had been one year, at Bill and Fleur's wedding. They had talked. They had almost danced. They'd kept in regular contact before then. She remembered his long letters, the summer invitation she'd declined due to O.W.L.s.

Viktor was trivializing their relationship on purpose.

"In fact, I vould very much like to... negotiate for her. Tonight." His eyes were liquid as they roved her body. "She vos, how do you say... a good girl before. I vos not allowed to touch."

Lucius paused, and Hermione held her breath as he calculated. "I'm afraid she's highly requested, Mr. Krum. You'd have to get in line." Minister Grubov laughed, and Lucius joined him.

Lucius's eyes flicked to the door, and Hermione followed them to see a Death Eater bringing in a thin brunette girl to Charlotte. The girl was shaking as Charlotte led her over to Minister Cirillo, her lips stretched in a strained smile.

Anna.

"As it is," Lucius said lightly, "she is my son's slave. You will have to speak with him about any trading." He turned abruptly to Grubov. "Minister, I hear you have begun the process of a Muggle-Born Registration. How is that coming along?"