Chapter 5

Were you a money-hungry person? Did you marry your husband for his looks and wealth alone? You didn't like the thought of doing something that cold, that heartless. But for all you knew, you could have been a frigid bitch that didn't care for anyone.

In spite of that possibility, the emotional turmoil you had been experiencing the entire ride "home" was far more powerful than these far-fetched fantasies. You were confused, injured, scared, and lost. And, not to mention, there was a feeling that was festering deep in your gut that was telling you something was off. Your husband had seemed so sure, so certain of himself when he spoke to you it was hard to believe he was telling you anything but the truth. But you couldn't deny that feeling that was creating a pit in your stomach, there was something about this that just didn't feel right. There was no way to explain it, but you knew that you needed to keep your guard up until you were certain that this was your life.

You were snapped free from your thoughts as the car jerked to a stop, the sound of the parking brakes pulling you back to reality.

"Welcome home, princess," Jin called over his shoulder with a soft smile as his eyes connected with your curled-up form tucked safe and warm beneath the blanket that cradled your crippled body.

That's right, you were "home."

You blinked slowly, meeting his gaze but unable to find words that you could use to respond to him. He didn't say anything more, just simply smiled and removed the key from the ignition before exiting the driver's side of the vehicle.

Your husband had a rather lithe form, you noted as he turned to walk to the backseat door. He had such broad shoulders and a slim waist, you couldn't deny that you were envious. How fair was it that he got to have looks, money, intelligence, and a body like that? God played favorites, he certainly did. You also couldn't find it in yourself to be ashamed of your thoughts, if he was your husband shouldn't you be able to look at him as much as you desired?

You flinched as the door was thrown open, a blast of cold air curling it's way into the car and obliterating the warmth that had once resided there. You clenched your jaw in annoyance as you attempted to stall the chattering of your teeth.

"Let's get you inside and warm you up, hm?" He suggested, carefully sliding his arms beneath you and hoisting you up and out of the car, blanket and all.

A rush of warmth flooded your cheeks as he held you close, his touch was not intimate but you would be a damn fool if you didn't relish in the thought that there was a handsome man that wanted to carry you around. So much for keeping your guard up.

Despite all of your promises and warnings to yourself, you were like shrink wrap around the stranger that was carrying you. He was so incredibly warm, the only heat source you had in this goddamn tundra.

Your cheek was firmly pressed into his shoulder, your eyes closed and accompanied by the feeling of your snow-dampened lashed fluttering against your skin. You could feel the soft rise and fall of his chest against your own and the sweet low tune he was humming in your ear as he rapidly approached the front door. In a matter of moments, he had successfully brought the two of you into the heat of the house, jostling you slightly as he stomped the snow off of his boots.

You could feel your eyelids growing heavy, weakly opening and closing in an attempt to remain awake. How could you be so tired after having slept for so long?

You could feel the two of you moving once more, only this time up a set of stairs. You pinned your eyes shut this time, the bopping motion of ascending to the next floor making your head pound in protest. Oh, you definitely had a concussion especially with those dark spots that were clouding the corners of your vision.