Chapter 14 - Carmela

Dear Diary,

             We made our way back to California while hitting music venues on the way there, and by the end of the week, we rolled into Las Vegas. Everyone wanted to hit the casinos, so as one big chaotic group, we explored the strip. Bright neon signs flickered, and despite it being late, the sidewalks were crowded with people frivolously consuming their sins. Salespeople in slick suits stood on every corner, tempting tourists to eat dinner at their hotels, buy tickets for extravagant shows, and gamble at their tables.

It was like a carnival on acid as showgirls walked past in sparkling leotards with headdresses crowning their flowing hair in white, fluffy feathers. They looked like angels on parade with their long, toned legs gliding across the pavement in glittery heels for whatever show they were late for.

But no matter how exciting it was, Rodrigo always had a way of ruining things. He was on a bender of drinking, smoking, and sniffing coke with Dave. I wanted to escape him, but the worst was yet to come as Melody, and I played the slot machines in Caesar Palace while the band sat at poker tables. Despite our differences, she was my only ally, so I ignored her betrayal as I smiled at her side and giggled over our amateur gambling abilities. 

"My sweet thing." Rodrigo looped his arm around me. "I got you a drink."

"I've already got one." I wiggled the soda in my hand and added quarters to the sparkly machine.

"This one has booze."

"I don't want any."

"Baby, this is Vegas. Have some fun."

"I am having fun."

"What's with you?" He eyed me, his combat boots shifting on the red swirls of the carpet, the flesh of his knees showing through the tears in his jeans. "You used to get wasted along with me, and now, it's like you look down your nose at it."

"Maybe because you do enough for the both of us," I muttered and cranked the machine.

"What did you say!" Rodrigo jerked my chin toward him.

"Hey, hey..." Melody shoved her arm between us, wedging us apart. "Take it easy."

"Fuck you, Melody. I'm talking to my wife."

"I'm aware." She ran her pink manicured nail down his chest and to his hand, plucking the drink from him. "Relax, baby. All you have to do is ask nicely. Right, Carmela?"

"Yeah, sure." I furrowed my brows as she passed it to me.

"Take a sip, baby doll."

"But I don't—"

"Shh..." She pressed her finger to my mouth. "Let's have a little fun. Now sip."

Rodrigo glared from over her shoulder. So I brought the plastic cup to my lips, but Melody pressed her fingers against the bottom, holding it in place and forcing me to keep drinking. When it was gone, she pulled the cup away and pecked my lips.

"Good girl. Now, are you satisfied, Rodrigo?" She turned to him.

"Yes."

"Great. Now go back to your poker playing with Leo and the guys."

"Don't let her out of your sight."

"Relax," Melody purred, grabbing him by the chin and nipping his lips. "I won't let anything bad happen to your sweet thing."

There was a flicker of hunger in his eyes as he stared at her, but then his gaze flashed to me. "Las Vegas can be a dangerous place, so stick by Melody's side. We should be done with our poker game in an hour, and then we'll head back to the hotel, ok?"