6.

BEFORE BREAKFAST ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES, CARINA IS CALLED TO PROFESSOR SPROUT'S OFFICE

BEFORE BREAKFAST ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES, CARINA IS CALLED TO PROFESSOR SPROUT'S OFFICE. She sat patiently in the cozy office surrounded by various plants, sipping the tea offered to her by the Head of Hufflepuff House.

"Miss Tonks, I recall from our discussion last year that you're interested in a career as a magizoologist, yes?" Professor Sprout inquired delicately. Carina's teacup stilled halfway to her lips.

She could only nod lightly, watching her professor hesitantly.

"Professor Kettleburn has informed me of a potential opportunity he believes would suit you."

Professor Sprout slides a piece of parchment across the desk, and Carina slowly takes ahold of it. Her eyes scan the words written on it at lightning speed.

Carina swallows thickly, "Professor, this says there is an opening for a dragon specialist."

"It does," the woman nods, watching Carina's face. "If you're interested, Professor Kettleburn and myself would be happy to write you recommendations."

She could feel her heart threatening to beat out of her chest. A dragonologist.

"I'm interested, Professor," Carina laughed happily. "I'm incredibly interested."

She watches Professor Sprout pull several more pieces of parchment from a folder on her desktop. Producing a quill, the woman pauses.

"We can begin your application immediately, if that suits you, Miss Tonks," she smiles.

Carina nods frantically, setting her teacup down on the desk and straightening up in her seat. Her palms are slick from the anxiety and the excitement. A dragonologist.

"There's just one thing, I'm afraid," Sprout drawls cautiously. "The position is in Romania."

Carina feels her face fall immediately. The thumping of her heart halts. It was as if the woman before her was expecting her reaction, because she gives her a sad nod.

"I do hope you'll still consider it. It would be an incredible opportunity, Miss Tonks."

And she's right. It's an unbelievable opportunity. It's everything she's every wanted and more.

She shouldn't even have to question it. If the position was in England, she knew she wouldn't be.

Which is why Carina smiles weakly and asked her Professor to help her complete the application.

-

Carina enters her dorm after her meeting to the sight of her sister waiting for her. The second she sees her, Dora drops the lipstick she was holding and stands up.

"What's wrong?"

Without meaning to, Carina starts to cry. Nymphadora rushes to her and searches her face.

"Carrie, you're scaring me," Dora says softly. Carina laughs pitifully at the moniker typically only used by her father. It stabs at her heart, thinking of how she'd have to leave them if she's accepted to Romania.

"I've just posted my application to be a dragonologist," Carina whispers. Her twin sister begins to cheer excitedly, but she stops when she sees the somber expression on Carina's face.

"That's amazing. Why don't you look like that's amazing?" Nymphadora inquires slowly.

"The position is in Romania."

Another round of tears seep from Carina's eyes when her sister flinches. She watches Dora fall back onto the bed.

"That's... that's far," Dora chokes out.

"I know," Carina sniffles. "I don't even know if they'll choose me. Professor Kettleburn and Professor Sprout just... just wanted me to apply in case."

Nymphadora stands and hugs her twin tightly.

"I'm proud of you, Carrie," Dora insists. "Why are you upset?"

When they separate, Carina knows her sister only asked to hear her say it out loud. It didn't take a genius to figure out what the downside of this job would be.

She'd have to leave her family. She'd have to leave Charlie. Ginny. Fred and George.

She would be giving everything up.

"If I go," Carina paused. "If I go, I have to leave."

"Yeah, that's kind of how that works."

Nymphadora succeeded in making the girl laugh, albeit tearfully.

"My whole life is here," Carina amends.

"This is a dream come true, Carina," Dora shakes her head. "If they accept your application, you have to go. This is one in a million."

Carina opens her mouth to argue, but Dora raises her hand. She fixes her a firm stare, crossing her arms.

"At least don't decide before they respond. Promise me."

"Dora, I—."

"Promise me."

Carina sighs defeatedly, grumbling, "I promise."

Dora helps her clear the evidence of tears from her cheeks, and they go down for breakfast together.