8.

CARINA SITS WITH CHARLIE AT THE BLACK LAKE WHEN AN OWL DROPS A LETTER IN HER LAP

CARINA SITS WITH CHARLIE AT THE BLACK LAKE WHEN AN OWL DROPS A LETTER IN HER LAP. She tears it open, revealing a letter from Ginny inside. Smiling, she leans back and places her head in Charlie's lap to read the letter.

He looks down at her and smiles, returning to the essay he was writing.

Dear Carina,

I miss you. Mum doesn't braid my hair the same way you do.

Are you having fun at Hogwarts? I bet you are. Charlie's lucky he gets to have you all year long, because I have to wait until Christmas. That's not very fair.

I thought you'd like this ribbon for your hair.

Love,
Ginny

"Who's that from?" Charlie asks curiously.

Carina smiles up at him while she pulls a bright yellow ribbon from the envelope.

"Ginny."

Charlie laughs lightly, taking the scrap from her hands. "She writes you more than she writes to me, and I'm her brother."

Her eyes glittered, but she didn't have the chance to tease the red haired boy before another owl swooped down and left a letter in her lap.

Carina,

I'd greatly appreciate your help with my Care of Magical Creatures essay over thestrals. I'll be in the library if you're able to meet me.

Percy Weasley

Carina attempted to stifle her giggle, sitting up. Her companion simply quirked a brow at her second letter in ten minutes.

"I'll catch up with you later, Charlie," she winked. "I've got an appointment with Perce."

He watched her go in mild defeat. He might love how well she fit in with his family, but he did not love sharing her.

-

After an hour of teaching Percy everything she knew about thestrals, Carina began packing up her things. Dinner was quickly approaching.

She failed to notice the boy in Ravenclaw robes standing in front of the table she shared with Percy until a throat clearing caught her attention.

"Hi," Carina smiled confusedly, letting her eyes drift to her study partner. The blank expression he wore told her he didn't know who this was either.

"Alright, love? There's a Hogsmede trip this weekend," the unnamed boy smiled. Carina tilted her head slightly in question, before righting herself and returning the smile.

"I know! I'm due for a trip to Honeydukes," she answered politely.

Percy arches a brow at the scene and sneers at the boy. Turning to Carina, he asks innocently, "Could you ask Charlie to pick up some licorice wands for me while you're there?"

The boy's eyes flickered between Percy and Carina.

"With Charlie," Percy insisted, fixing his gaze on the frowning Ravenclaw. "In Hogsmede. Together."

Carina paused at his odd behavior, but assured him, "Sure, Perce."

The staring contest happening between the two males had Carina packing her things up quicker than before. While she wasn't sure what was going on, she didn't particularly care to find out. She had just slung her bag over her shoulder when the silence finally broke.

"So you're going with someone already?"

"She is," Percy said shortly.

Before Carina could speak, the boy had turned and shuffled out of the library. Percy returned his attention to the parchment in front of him.

"How odd," Carina shrugged. "I'll see you at dinner?"

Percy nodded, making a mental note to tell Charlie to keep an eye on the sixth year that was brave enough to try and ask Carina on a date in front of a Weasley.

-

"He said what?" Dora snorted quietly from her bed.

"It was so strange," Carina whispered into the darkness. "I'm still not sure what happened."

"You're kidding, right?"

Carina sat up and yanked the curtains around her bed open, turning to face her sisters bed. Dora's curtains opened.

Dora smirked, "Percy ruined the poor bloke's chances at getting up your skirt in Three Broomsticks."

"Dora!" Carina squeaked, her cheeks burning.

She had never even been kissed, let alone let anyone up her bloody skirt.

"My sweet, darling baby sister," Dora sighs airily. "You're so very vanilla."

Carina glared, crossing her arms. The way her sister spoke implied vanilla was not a compliment.

"I'm just saying," Dora snickered, "you could show a little leg every now and then."

Show a little leg, she says. If the blush on her face said anything, that wasn't likely.