⊰ 𝟝 ⊱

"THE CARVER BROTHERS" ~ PART: 1.

"Brother?" I flicked my eyes over to Tate with a narrowed brow, foraging for an explanation, but his calm expression gave me nothing. I was utterly dumbfounded by what I had heard.

Mrs. Carver senses my confusion, "He's friends with your older brother, Tyler?" She recalls, trying to grab my attention.

I nod, "I-um," I sounded so clueless, "I mean yes, he is. I know him. I just didn't know he was Tate's brother." That's better.

This entire situation was uncanny. If I thought I was drowning in an ocean of unanswered questions regarding Lyle Carver. I was well in over my head. I was fully submerged now, sinking into in the endless pool of nothingness. The only person who could pull me out was Tate.

Mrs. Carver smiles warmly. Well, that's where the famously annoying Carver dimples come from, "Tate, why don't you show Evie around before we sit to eat, mhm?"

"Sounds good." Tate kisses his mother on the cheek, "Come." He pulls away saying, entwining our hands together, before leading me outside to the back patio.

Tate and I walk hand in hand, strolling through a Japanese-style garden That had a pond in the central area, encircled by a sandstone path. Although, no matter how distracting the beautiful sight was, my mind was still clouded with prolonging questions about Tate and Lyle being brothers.

"Tate," I said, preparing to ask the million-dollar question, sitting down on the garden bench. "I thought Lyle was your cousin?"

Tate sits down beside me, sighing deeply as if he's considering if he should answer my question or not.

Then he finally makes the decision, "Lyle is my cousin." He glances over at me. "He's also my brother. my half brother."

I'm shaking my head, a creasing line of confusion forms in between my brows. "How does that even work?"

"Our fathers are brothers," He tells me, almost hesitating like he's embarrassed. "I'm sure you can figure the rest out by yourself." He continued, looking away.

I place my hands in my lap, slowly but surely absorbing the information from Tate. I was having a hard time trying to put the remaining puzzle pieces together. We sit in silence for a few moments, until I finally had somewhat of an understanding on how exactly Lyle and Tate could be both cousins and brothers.

"So, Lyle's Dad is your uncle, and I'm guessing he sle-" I start to say, but Tate finishes my sentence for me.

"Slept with my mom? yeah, she had an affair with him." Tate's looking back at me with disgust dancing in his eyes. The same look Lyle gave me when I kissed Tate that night.

I nod in response, noticing this topic was a very touchy one for Tate. I decided that I didn't want to push the conversation any further than it needed to be. I got my answer, yet there was still so much that didn't make sense. I came to the conclusion Tate would answer the rest in due time, and I would respect that.

Tate suddenly stands up, "Come. you haven't seen everything yet." He extends his arm for me with a kind smile.

I take his hand, and we continue on our stroll through the rest of the garden. We reach rock-stepping stones over a large rock pool, that led to a gazebo at the end of it. It was surrounded by wildflowers, like orchids, cornflowers, and daisies. The rock pool had a semi-small waterfall overlooking it.

"I can't believe you live here," I say, taking in the sight. across the pool was a tennis court, enclosed with pine trees. "And a tennis court? is there anything you don't have?" I scoff in fascination.