Chapter Eighteen- Down And Freaky

A/N: hi how is everyone?

"Oh my, did you run all the way here, Taylor?" Mr. McVoy, Jake's dad, asked once he saw me glistening with sweat and my out-of-breath state.

Stupid Xander and his stupid actions had got me into running again. One minute he was cold, the next he was hot, and then he would go back to being cold. It was confusing, to say the least.

I declined Caleb's offer to pick me up to go to Jake's because I knew that I needed to run, even though I had done my usual running for this week.

"I still don't have my car and thought I could go on my weekly run. You don't mind, do you?" I explained as he moved to the side to let me in.

"Of course not. Jake could have picked you up, though."

"It's okay, Sir. I like running." He nodded his head in understanding. Mr. McVoy was a businessman, but he often ran marathons and went on hiking excursions, so he understood my love for running.

I had been going a lot less with everything going on recently, but at least I was getting back into it again.

"Ah, well, the others are downstairs. Just help yourself to a drink from the kitchen if you need one." I thanked him and made my way to the basement. Laughter could be heard before I had even opened the door.

Upon my arrival, the chattering stopped. They were probably expecting me to be one of Jake's parents. "Oh, hey Taylor. I thought you were staying in with your grandma tonight?"

"Her and my dad needed time to fill out paperwork, so I decided to come after all," I said, climbing down the wooden stairs until I reached the bottom. I was still pretty warm from the run, so I took off my jacket, draped it across the banister, and took a swig of my water before placing the bottle on the floor.

Everyone was here, including Cass, Ben, and Sarah.

There wasn't any space for me to sit as all the spaces on the couch and bean bags had been taken. "You can sit here, Tay." Sarah offered, getting up from her space on the sofa, which was beside Xander.

"Where will you sit?"

"She can sit on my lap." Ben pulled her down onto his lap before she could reject him. His cheeks were tinged a light pink colour when he realised everyone's eyes were on them. I smiled at their cuteness and took the seat on the couch.

It beats sitting on the hard floor.

I felt a little uncomfortable as I squeezed in between the arm of the chair and Xander. Even though I had gone to the ice cream parlor with him and Lee, we didn't talk much. Lee did all the talking, and occasionally we would reply to him.

I waited for the jokes about how I smelt bad, but it never came.

I decided to go on my phone and reply to a few messages I had on Instagram and the one from my dad.

I felt Xander move closer towards me before he spoke up quietly. "Do you need a lift back home?" His breath tickled my ear from the close proximity as he spoke. I turned my head to face him, but he was already looking at me.

"I don't mind running back, plus I'm sure Caleb could drop me off." His eyebrows pulled together in a frown as he took in my words.

"Caleb dropped his car off at home, and I brought him here."

"If we end up leaving here late, then I wouldn't mind a lift. Are you sure?" I didn't want to run back if it was too late, but I knew Xander. He would offer me a lift and then leave me before I even had a chance to get in the car.