VIII

i was now sat at the table. with the mans and woman's eyes both on me.
"so.." the man started "i am ward and-"
i zoned out when i heard his name. ward? shit. i was literally in his office. i bite my lip as i wonder what to say.
"harley?" sarah asks
"hm?" i say, zoning back in.
"he asked you something" she nodded towards ward.
"uhm yes sorry sorry." i blush in embarrassment.
"that's alright. now harley whats your full name?"
"harley miller."
"right harley miller i'm ward cameron and this is my wife rose cameron"
i smile and nod.
"why do you need to stay here?" rose asks in a concerned voice.
i made eye contact with rafe and then back at rose.
"i got kicked out."
"why?" ward asks.
"i uhm.." i scanned my surroundings to think of an answer. my eyes landed on wards car out the front. "i crashed my dads car."
he raises his eyebrows.
"accident" i add
"how did you crash it?"
"drunk driving." it was the first thing that came to my mind.
"why didn't you use your motorbike?"
"motorbike?" i ask. hoping he hadn't seen it.
"the one out the front. that's yours right?"
"oh yes. yes it is."
"so why didn't you drive that"
"i got it after i was kicked out"
"tell me more"
"well i was saving up anyway but when i was kicked out he gave me some money to get me going until i live off of myself. so with the money he gave me and the money i saved up, i had just enough to get it. so i did." i say, attempting to look guilty but deep down proud of myself for coming up with this.
ward stares into my eyes. i suppose trying to see if i'm lying or not. he eventually looks away.
"right she can stay. long as you need. just don't go driving my car" he laughs.
"yay! thankyou father" she exclaims and gets up to hug him which he returns.
i watch as they hug, wondering why my dad couldn't be like that. i sigh and look down. now playing with my hands.

365 words+