| 06 | quiproquo

"I still can't believe you saw Roman,"

Rubbing my temples, I allow the warm water to permeate my skin.

I avert my gaze to meet Yara's bewildered eyes.

"Believe me," I begin blankly, "I'm just as shocked as you are."

Due to our hectic schedule, Yara insisted we spend some quality time together.

Since my week has been filled with back-to-back meetings and public conferences, a night at the spa definitely sounds like my definition of relaxing.

Lolling back onto the headrest of the hot tub, I think you can guess how determined I am to do nothing tonight.

"It must be so awkward," Yara trails off as she ties her waves in a tight bun, "I mean seeing your ex-boyfriend work at the company of your other ex-boyfriend is the biggest coincidence of the century."

While she chuckles, I groan.

She just had to bring it up.

"I don't know what to feel at this point," I utter; allowing the waterfall to lessen the tension in my neck.

Yara raises a challenging brow, "Have you told Ludovic yet?"

Her question takes me aback.

"Why should I tell him anything?" my strong reaction causes her to throw me her knowing look.

"Naya, c'mon you know why," Yara insinuates, "you of all people should know how extremely possessive Ludovic gets when it comes to you. By you telling him things upfront, it'll help y'all avoid so many misunderstandings."

Although her point of view makes sense, a stubborn part of me chooses to stick to my current stance.

"That's just it, I don't owe him anything," I assert, "just because he's helping me with the investigation doesn't mean I'll share with him every single one of my secrets."

Before Yara can speak, I intercede, "Besides, it's not like Ludovic and I are dating. So I'm under no obligation to inform him about Roman. And knowing Ludovic, I don't want him to fire Roman because of the past."

Disapproval is written all over her face, "Ludovic practically declared to you he would stop at nothing to break your walls. If that isn't a love declaration then I don't know what is."

I wear a dumbfounded look.

"I would barely call what he said a 'love declaration', Yara," I debunk, "he was just saying anything to get me to forgive him in the spur of the moment. And get it through your head that Ludovic is not the type to declare his feelings and I think his actions thus far prove it."

Silence reigns.

As I watch the foams agglomerate to the surface, my thoughts keep drifting to what happened earlier.