CHAPTER 31 ↠ a cigarette and a bee

After dancing for a while, Michael and Bea decided they should rest a bit

After dancing for a while, Michael and Bea decided they should rest a bit. They asked for drinks to one of the waiters that was walking around the salon and soon enough Bea had a gin on one hand and a cigarette on another.

Michael had gone to the bigger tables and see if there was something he'd like to eat. After all, there was no need to be invited for a dinner beforehand as the party had much food for everyone.

As she took the cigarette to her lips she looked around and saw that Michael had been held on his own hand by Gina. She watched as they chatted, Michael's free hand in his pocket, as he laughed briefly over something that Gina had said — she herself laughing harder, as if finding herself hilarious.

Whilst those two were speaking, Jack and Alexander approached Bea.

"Next party will be organized by me," Alexander announces. "A smaller one, and you're most certainly invited, Miss Beatrice."

"Please, Bea is fine," she says finding it weird that he called her 'Miss Beatrice'. "And I'll surely attend it if I am free. You see, I work with Michael so sometimes I can be busy."

"Yes, of course," Alexander says understanding. "But for a dinner party you'd be available, no?"

"Most likely, yes," Bea confirms with a smile.

"By the way, if you don't have time for a portrait..." Alexander starts, "I don't really need one."

"Oh, uh... I guess we'll have to see. I wasn't expecting on getting orders or anything of the kind, but I will try to see if I can paint. As I said, I'm still finishing Michael's, and then I have Jack's one as well... And I also don't know how long I will stay in New York. At anytime I can be called back to Birmingham, so I can't assure that I'll have the time."

"I only spoke of the portrait because Jack spoke highly of your skills."

"I did insist they should order paintings from you," Jack confesses. "The one's in the room in London were very talented and the portrait would look great had you finished it."

"I'm very grateful for your compliments, Jack. And I would love to continue to paint and be able to sell the paintings, but I cannot assure you for certaint that I have enough time."

"Seriously, don't worry about it," Alexander says. "Do use your free time next weekend to attend my party."

"I will. If you give me an address or something to where it'll be..."

As the three of them continued to speak casually, Michael finally approached. He cleared his throat, announcing his arrival to Jack and Alexander, who were in his way to Bea.