10. hopeful

010

010

"Mom, it's only been three days... there's no way my boss would be able to get through all those papers in such a short amount of time." Devora advised, keeping the speaker close to her jaw.

"Well, I'm just calling to ask because I really want you to win." Her mother's positive energy flowed through the phone. "I know you'll win, and I'm not just saying that because you're my daughter." Sakina added.

Devora knew how obstinate her mother was, deciding it was best to agree and take on her enthused mindset.

"Right, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he'll fall in love with my design." She glanced at Hoseok's office door.

"If he doesn't then he's crazy." Sakina concluded.

"If he doesn't, I bet I could make a better dress that he'd pick."

Devora heard Junseo's voice chime through the background of her mother's home.

"Was that Junseo?" Devora wondered, a smile rising.

"Yes, that was Junseo," Her mother lamented. "You know how annoying teenage brothers can be." Sakina stated with a crooked grin, looking right at Junseo.

"Yeah well, I'd like to see him even try to design something better than mine." Devora suddenly grew courageous when it came to sibling rivalry.

Though she had a lot of work those days, she was still in close contact with her family.

She always tried to visit her parents during the weekend, but, half of the time she was exhausted from her week at work.

Her lips pulled stiffly. "I gotta go, mom, I'll call you tomorrow."

She put the phone down, sighing quietly collecting her racing thoughts.

She heard her name being summoned from Hoseok's office, causing her heart to come to an abrupt stop.

She pulled herself together, finding the courage to assist him.

"Yes, Hoseok?" She put on a sophisticated expression.

He called her over with his hand, inviting her to the seat in front of his desk.

Hoseok watched as she placed herself on the seat in front of him, his lips not once moving into the prominent grin he ordinarily wore.

That made her breathing hitch, clasping her hands and legs together. A string lifted her shoulders up in a prudent position in response to his aura of solemnity.

She tried on a smile, hoping it will distract her from the trepidation that welled in her stomach and chest.

He hovered his upper body over his desk, leaning towards her.

"I was just looking over your design." Hoseok finally broke the penetrating silence, slowly settling back into his seat.

"Why all black?" He questioned her choice of color, interested in what was running through her mind.

"Out of all colors, mixtures of pastels, why only black?"

Devora cleared her throat, she should've known all black was too plain. Yet, she was convinced that the glitter would give it that pizazz it was missing.

How would she explain that to him? Hoseok was, for the most part, into striking colors.

Apparently, everyone knew that — from the scattered piles of designs on one corner of his desk — nearly everybody used the same colors.

"Well, you see when I was looking over all your former runway shows, I always saw various kinds of colors and, of course, they're all gorgeous pieces."

Devora saw his expression stay earnest, terrified that she might have offended him.

"Though your collections always have different kinds of colors, there was never an outfit that had one singular color. I thought black could describe the solemnity of your pieces, it would stand out and look bold next to all these other outfits filled with luminous colors."

She explained the backstory of her design, hoping it would be a good enough explanation for him.

The thick silence in the room was practically tangible; the only sound that stood between them was the harsh flickers of Devora's heartbeat.

Suddenly, the corners of his lips sided upwards, freeing a sportive grin that he had been hiding.

He grabbed her design, looking at it again. "Honestly, I had high hopes for your piece." Lowering the paper to see her expression, "I was proven correct, your piece is just something I've never seen before."

Devora released a long-awaited laugh filled with disbelief. "Are you serious?" Her hands placed themselves against her chest in skepticism.

Hoseok laughed, "Absolutely! I just love your concept and the reason why you chose such a color." She watched as his eyes glistened, in love with her piece.

She got up from her seat, bowing to him with great admiration."You don't know how much that means to me, Hoseok, I could just cry right now, honestly." Devora had her hands together in a praying motion, her fingers pressed against her lips.

"I've gotten so many pieces with the same colors and similar designs, they've always thought about designing something that related to my concepts, but in reality, I love seeing new and modernist outlays." Putting a hand over her shoulder, squeezing it gently.

Inexorable tears swelled in her eyes. "Thank you so much for this. I'm so happy that you liked my piece!"

He was thrilled to give her the opportunity of a lifetime. "Of course, we'll discuss the makings later. For now, congratulations, Dev. You truly deserve it."

˚。⋆ ୨୧⋆。˚