5 | Deja Vú

“I am this close to going off the deep end,” you spoke angrily, waving your hands around dramatically, as you sat next to your dad on the train into town, on Saturday morning. “You can’t make me go explore the rich part of Paris with you, you just can’t!”

“I can and I did,” your father shot back, folding his arms, and leaning back in his seat comfortably. “Deal with it.”

“Ugh, the child abuse,” you sighed dramatically, slumping over, and resting your head on your knees. “I don’t want to be surrounded by things that are beyond my budget!”

“Calm down, we’re only going to take a quick look around!” your dad responded, nudging you teasingly. “If we’re lucky, we might get to see those two superheroes, don’t you think?”

“If those two are around, then it’s probably because something is getting destroyed by another one of those freak villains,” you complained. “I keep telling you, we shouldn’t have moved here!”

“Look, (Y/n), I know things haven’t exactly gone to plan,” your father muttered, pressing a hand to his forehead in frustration, “but we’re here now. And since this isn’t what we’d prepared for, your mother and I would appreciate your support going forwards, ok?”

“You dragged me out of my home, away from my friends and family,” you hissed, becoming bitter, “and you want me to support you?”

“God, I get it, for fuck’s sake!” your father snapped, losing his temper, “We fucked up, moving here, we fucked up bad! I’ve been hearing it nonstop from your mother and you! I bloody get it, alright?!” he turned away from you, and glared out of the window next to him.

You were silent, shame welling up inside of you. It was no secret your father had been under pressure since you’d come to France; and to be fair, he could’ve never predicted the appearance of supervillains and superheroes, right out of a Marvel Comicbook. Well, now you were feeling guilty… you were stubbornly quiet for ten seconds more, refusing to apologise, till finally your morals got the best of you.

“Sorry,” you mumbled. Your dad glanced at you out of the corner of his eye. You continued half-heartedly, “I know you meant well coming here, Dad. It’s just there’s a lot of stuff going on. I don’t feel particularly safe here, even if there are two people in animal costumes saving everyone—it’s just been hard to digest everything. Being away from my friends in London hasn’t helped either, though I didn’t have many of them.”

“I’d assume so,” your father replied warily, though he ruffled your hair fondly with a weak smile. “I know it hasn’t been fantastic. But it’ll get better, ok? And when you’ve finished school, you can go back to England for university, that I promise.”

“Promise?” you mumbled, leaning into his touch.

“Promise,” he assured you.

“I’m holding that to you,” you spoke mid-yawn, before leaning on your dad’s shoulder, and closing your eyes. “Wake me up when we get there. It’s too early for me.”

“It’s only ten,” your father remarked with a frown.

“Anything before midday,” you mumbled sleepily, “is early for me.”

Your father pinched the bridge of his nose, mumbling under his breath, “You’re way too much like Julian. Too stubborn, and think that you’re somehow destined for better things.”