Diavolo - Promise (Pt. 1)

Picture: https://pin.it/5MXUlrC

(A/n: Angst? Maybe? Had some angsty vibes- eh, whatever! Diavolo is such a cute softball ^3^ Oha... its x fem! reader. And maybe only my POV or Dia's.  Also, thank you for 160+ reads T^T despite the book being cringe.)

...

Third-person POV

After you've left Devildom.

It's been so long, Diavolo has forgotten how you looked like. He had forgotten how you would smile whenever he or the seven demon brothers were around, how your soft skin would glow under the starlight, or how it felt to hold something as small and as fragile as you close to his chest, near his heart. When you left Devildom he had made you promise something, a promise he hoped you would keep? It's almost been fifty years ever since you left. Well, fifty years may sound nothing to the demons, as far as many are concerned, might even be considered five mere minutes. But he's been counting every day, every minute, every second... Hoping, praying, and pleading that you would return back to him

"Good morning my lord. It is time for your breakfast." Barbatos said upon entering the chambers of the soon-to-be Demon King. "The coronation is today after all. Must have a full stomach so that you do not eat lesser demons for a snack after your speech."

Diavolo managed a small smile at Barbatos' joke, but the solemn feeling returned just as quickly. He turned his face towards Barbatos and sighed. He was right, after all, the coronation was today and he was going to have to face the demons of Devildom after almost half a century of being nothing but a mysterious entity, a faceless ruler of Devildom.

He'd released Lucifer of the chains that tied them together when you left because it was his promise to you. He had completely cut off contact with the brothers. Lucifer tried to speak to him the first few months, but Diavolo left him on read. Despite all this, Lucifer still messaged him every holiday, on his birthday, and of course on your favorite holiday, Christmas. When Lucifer would want to visit him, he would just make up different excuses. He had become anti-social. Even now as he was fiddling with his D.D.D, he saw the familiar picture of Lucifer pop up with a text message congratulating him on becoming king. He just sighed and laid the phone next to him on the bed.

"Thank you Barbatos. I'll eat it," he mumbled sitting up in his bed. Barbatos managed a polite smile and bowed.

"Shall I call for the lesser demons to help you with your clothes my lord?" Barbatos asked politely, the smile still on his face. Diavolo sighed and swung his legs over the edge of the satin sheets, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.

"No Barbatos, I am quite capable of getting dressed. Just have them drop it off by the door after I finish this meal and take a bath." He said making his way over to the food that Barbatos made. Diavolo looked at the food and it made his stomach writhe. He has not really eaten anything in these past fifty years, he did not really need to eat anything, after all, seeing as he was immortal. And frankly, the idea of food did not sit well with him, but he knew that if he did not eat, he would only worry Barbatos. He carefully picked up the piece of toast and lifted it to his mouth and took a huge bite. The buttery taste now tasted like ash, despite Barbatos's cooking always being damn near perfect. Barbatos may not show his emotions well, but even Diavolo can tell he's been worrying him.

He finished his breakfast, the entire time feeling as if he was chewing on wax. He had to resist the feeling in his stomach to not throw it all up immediately. Sighing, he strolled across the cool black marble floors and made it to his bathroom. He hardly recognized the man in the mirror. His face was thinner than he was half a century ago, his collarbones were now poking through and his body looked weaker. He could see the tired look in his eyes and the dark circles that hung from them like weights. He mentally cursed at himself for letting himself get like this, slamming his fist against the glass and having it shatter beneath it.

"Fuck!" He hissed, feeling the blood drip from his skin. The anger took control over him and he could feel the horns ready to stem from his head, but he quickly regained his composure and walked into the shower.

'Calm down Diavolo. Y/n has probably forgotten you by now... I wish... just for once...I could see her again'

He turned the hot water all the way on and felt the boiling water hit his cold skin, almost putting him in a sort of trance. The warmth of the water slowly took your form and if he tries hard enough maybe he can remember the faintest memory of your laughter. He closed his eyes and tried to visualize you.

'If Y/n would've been here, there might have been more charm to the decoration... the way her smile lit up the room... the moment she danced with me I knew she was the one... the taste of her lips after eating so many sweets and chocolates... Oh, her love for sweets... I miss her so much ' 

He wanted to cling onto those memories so desperately but they had slipped away from him. Just how he let you slip away, despite the promises you two made, whispering in the dead of night as you huddled closer to his skin for warmth. The same warmth he was craving from you right now.

'Perhaps if I close my eyes just a little longer...'

He was surrounded by water and he was drowning in the big marble bathtub...