15. desperate

015

015

Devora thought it would be a great idea if she joined her new friend for some drinks and a chat, she seemed exuberant enough; inviting Devora to hang out with her and even offering to pay for new drinks and some shots.

But, Devora declined her generous offer. It would be wise if she kept her body away from the heavy liquor she had consumed from the night; sticking with cold ice water, eating the ice to wash down the inebriated feeling.

Catalina — her new friend — also had somebody that she brought over to the bar, he was around their age, about three years older than Devora.

She didn't know what to think of him. He did seem friendly, albeit to Devora, it was almost like his entire nature altered as soon as she introduced herself.

Or until she began to interact more.

He just gave her the creeps, making her keep her cup against her chest at all times.

With Catalina there, she was able to mollify her concerns by keeping the discussion going.

Apparently, she came from the United States, however, both her parents were from Puerto Rico. She studied abroad there in Seoul, learning about the Korean language and their culture.

It was interesting hearing about her background, and getting a sufficient image of where she was from.

Her hair was dark brown, almost nearing the color black with loose curls that hung low against her chest. Catalina's skin was perfectly bronzed, eyes a Bambi brown; comparable to the shade of her hair.

It amazed Devora to hear about her origin, her Korean was thoroughly spectacular. It was apparent that she worked and studied hard throughout her years there, in Seoul.

"Hey, I'm gonna go get some drinks," Catalina announced, hopping off her seat. "Did you want something, Devora?" Politely, she offered.

But, she rejected it. "No, I'm okay with my water." Devora promised, looking down at her ice-filled cup.

Turning back to the table, She realized she was going to be left alone for a bit, with Heath — Catalina's acquaintance. She gave him a simple grin with a nod, chewing on the ice.

Dev prayed Catalina got her drinks quickly, she could only stand being there for only so long with the man.

He was handsome and broad and it was evident that it all got to his head — he was utterly complacent. He thought all women wanted him, and he himself believed he could get any women he wanted.

It touched a nerve of hers.

Devora told herself that if he tried anything she would leave immediately, catching Catalina on her way out to retrieve her number.

Unlike Catalina, Heath hadn't any ties with being Puerto Rican — he was a caucasian from America, born in Wisconsin. Though, his knowledge of the Korean language and culture was rather sufficient. Devora would give him that much.

"How's the water?" Heath tried sparking a funny question, keeping his elbows solid on the table below him.

Devora snorted. "Yeah, it's great." She rattled the ice in her cup.

"I know this may come off as weird,"

Devora already knew what was coming once he said that, trying to stop herself from sighing a heavy sigh, and rolling her eyes.

"But, you're really pretty." His excellent teeth gleamed under the red lights, trying to warm up to Devora.

"Thanks." She gave him a rather flavorless reply, already drained of their one-minute conversation.

"Yeah, um I was thinking that we should hang out... you know another time?" Heath avoided every hint of uninterest that Devora flung his way.

She couldn't help but feel bad about declining him and giving him flippant responses. She knew his self-esteem would definitely prickle a bit after she rejected him.

She perked up in her seat, becoming interested in their conversation. "Will Catalina be there?"

"I meant like a date?" Heath muttered his response more like a question rather than a fearless statement.

"Umm, yeah sorry but I don't date. I'm really busy with work, and I have no time for a relationship, honestly."

Devora promptly disapproved of her excuse. It would be better to tell him the truth and just let him know that she was not impressed by him at all.

Nor was she impressed by his Hellcat in the parking lot that he kept boasting about.

"It doesn't have to be a date!" Heath was quick to negotiate. "I just wanna get to know you better."

"I think you know enough about me. I'm sorry, I'm just not interested." Devora told him the truth, tapping her nail against the cup in her hand.

There was silence between them, an incredulous expression washed on Heath's white cheeks, aghast that Devora rebuffed him.

She took his muteness as a one-way ticket to get out of there, leaving to go back with the guys she first came with.

But, a massive hand grabbed onto her wrist that seized her from moving.

˚。⋆ ୨୧⋆。˚