XV. Winter Wonderland

D E C E M B E R 1 9 7 6

.・。.・゜✭・.・✧・゜・。.

END TERM EXAMS CAME AND WENT without incident. So long as no one asked Sirius what happened during his Transfiguration exam, that is. The details were murky, Clara only caught bits and pieces of the story. All she knew was they he had turned a Puffskein into something else rather than a paperweight, like he was meant to.

Professor McGonagall had already sent a strongly worded letter home to Fleamont and Euphemia about the fracas he caused in class but what ever came of that, Clara had no clue. In all honesty, she had no idea what her parents' roles were even meant to be in Sirius's life.

Had it been her or James causing issues in the middle of an exam, they no doubt would have lost some sort of privileges over the holidays - like James's broom or Clara's record player being locked away. But when it came to Sirius, she had the feeling he thought he could get away with just about anything with her parents.

Fleamont and Euphemia were of course his authority figures now, and clearly Professor McGonagall had been made aware of his new living arrangements. But without Walburga and Orion's stern, watchful eyes over him anymore, it seemed like Sirius had become more bold than ever over recent months. At least that was Clara's opinion on the matter.

"So, what did you do?" Clara finally asked Sirius on Christmas Eve night.

The family had spent the evening gathered around the fireplace in the front room after enjoying a lovely roast dinner. Hours had passed since then and after it seemed as though everyone had gone off to bed, only Clara and Sirius remained, their faces aglow by the remaining embers in the hearth. Sirius had been looking rather forlorn all evening as he sat gazing out the window in the lounge. The boy noticeably jumped at the sound of her voice, as if he'd forgotten she was still in the room.

Replacing the shock on his face with his usually casual demeanor, he asked, "Which time?"

It was a fair question. When it came to Sirius, Clara could be talking about any number of schemes he had masterminded over the last month, "In Professor McGonagall's class during your exam."

Rather than answering, Sirius stood from the couch, "I feel like having a smoke."

Clara frowned, "It's freezing out."

"Luckily you and I are of age and can use a charm to keep warm, can't we?"

"Why are you saying we?"

A chuckle fell from his lips as the corner turned up into a mischievous smirk, "Do you want to know what I did or not?"

Clara chewed on her bottom lip as she weighed her options. But Sirius didn't seem too keen on waiting as he left the room before she could even answer. For some inexplicable reason, Clara's feet seemed to move on autopilot as she chased after the boy who was already halfway up the stairs before she finally caught up to him. A sly grin was playing at the corner of Sirius's lips as she fell in step with him. At that expression alone, she was already regretting her decision.

Once at the top of the stairs, in another display of his sheer boldness, Sirius waltzed right into Clara's bedroom as if it were his own and made his way towards her window. A prominent frown fell on her face as she watched him climb through without any consideration for her privacy.