23. crowded

023

023

Devora promised her friend that she would be meeting up with her after work that evening.

Boseong was going to be tagging along as well, giving him a heads-up about their hangout.

Devora tried not to be such a pessimist, keeping a positive outlook about everything.

Yet, her stomach would churn every time she thought about it.

Her forehead was invisibly dewed with drops of nervous sweat, biting down on her tongue as she idled for the clock to strike five, taking it as her time to leave.

She pressed her palm against her forehead, collecting all the perspiration.

Her heel ticked against the ground, shutting off her monitor to get ready to leave.

"Ready to go?" Boseong's aburpt presence caused her to jump in terror.

He put his hands up in apology. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." His eyes scanned her bewildering features.

Devora nodded, shaking her tense muscles. "It's okay, don't worry about it. I'm just nervous."

"Huh? Nervous for what? We haven't even left the office yet." Boseong turned over to some employees who were still in their seats.

She sighed wearily. She was aware her anxiety made her seem paranoid — flinching at any small thuds, or wincing when someone walked up to her.

She couldn't help but take it as a forewarning, or peril that swayed viciously in her tight chest.

"Don't worry about me. We'll have fun, and it'll ease my stress." Devora told him, picking her purse up from her chair.

"I'm gonna tell Hoseok that I'm leaving, I can meet you later in the parking lot." Not wanting to keep him waiting in case her conversation with Hoseok turned out to be a prolonged one.

"Alright then, I'll be waiting for you." He turned, leaving for the exit.

***

Devore met up with Boseong, who was waiting patiently in his car.

The place Catalina described was moderately distinct, near the bar where the two first met.

Apparently, there was a small club-like eatery that was inside the plaza she described.

She found it quickly, spotting a building with a dark blue hue leaking from the doors and windows.

The music was a huge giveaway, the bass boomed heavily, and even with her windows rolled up she was able to hear the muffled sounds.

Boseong and Devora parked on opposite ends of the parking lot, as it was almost impossible to find parking spaces with two empty slots near each other.

"Can you believe how many people are here?!" Boseong was amazed, meeting Devora in the middle.

"Seems like everyone else needed a stress relief, just like us two." She took a look at Boseong's attire, and how he changed his clothes. "Hey, you changed your clothes?" She asked, walking towards the far entrance.

"No, I just took off the blazer and tie, that thing makes me feel so clustered." His voice had to rise due to the music flowing through the creeks of the door.

Devora laughed. "Now I feel overdressed." She looked down at her outfit.

It was a burgundy dress, the neck of the dress was a rectangular shape, short sleeves clinging onto her shoulders.

It was the first time Devora had ever worn a sleeveless dress to work, now cumbersome that she had to go out in public with something she hardly ever wore.

Boseong looked down at her. "Dev, you're wearing a dress, I'm sure everyone else would be wearing that too, don't worry."

He pulled down on the sleeves, making her shoulders visible. "There, I think the dress compliments you much more with the sleeves off the shoulder." He gave an exultant smile, satisfied over his small adjustments.

"Thanks, I just hate showing my shoulders sometimes." Devora objected, surreptitiously running her fingers across the exposed part of her skin.

"You have a whole tattoo right on your shoulder, and it looks great. So don't get all shy when it comes to showing it off." He tapped his finger against her back.

Devora chuckled, gently shoving him with her shoulder.

He held the door open for the two of them, being hit with the gush of wind that blew from the air conditioner inside the building.

Her eyes immediately searched the large room, ignoring her chest and feet that rumbled with the powerful sound of music.

The bartender was in one corner of the room, along with — what seemed like hundreds — glass bottles of liquor on the wooden shelves.

In the middle of the room was where the dance floor and DJ were, moving bodies were assembled on the shimmering platform, welcoming the music that the DJ threw at them.

On the outer parts of the room were lots of tables and booths for the barbecue.

Devora felt her stomach growl solely thinking about the delicious scent of smoked meats.

Boseong spoke loudly from behind her. "Are those the girls we're meeting up with?" He questioned, directing his attention to a booth with three girls; Catalina waving at Devora with hopes to catch her attention.

"Oh, yeah!" She grabbed onto Boseong's hands. "Here, let's stay together. I don't want us to separate."

˚。⋆ ୨୧⋆。˚