CHAPTER VIII: deserts and desserts

⋆🏁⋆

⋆🏁⋆

══════ PAST ══════

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

🛑     TW : mentions of alcohol, slight anxiety.

🚦 Y/F/F : your favorite flavor

🚦     DEFINITIONS / definitions within reading are marked by an asterisk ( * )

    * The Boxer Rebellion - an uprising against foreigners that occurred in China about 1900, begun by peasants but eventually supported by the government. A Chinese secret society known as the Boxers embarked on a violent campaign to drive all foreigners from China. Several countries sent troops to halt the attacks. (real event in history btw. i remember learning about. pretty interesting stuff)

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

ON Y/N'S WAY HOME, they began feeling a slight drizzle drop on their head, causing them to ruffle their hair and gaze up at the sky. they sighed to themselves, deciding to just keep walking and hope there will be somewhere to take shelter under temporarily in case it rains harder.

while walking along the sidewalks, passing by the city's buildings, you turned to look down the alleyway. you had to do a double take though, walking backwards to stand where you previously passed by, gazing into the alleyway once more. what caught your eye was an unfamiliar, half-rusted, neon green sign of a lone cactus, its lights flickering and showing off a grayish-black residue plastered on the brick wall of the building due to the longevity of it being there.

you still stood there, taking a couple steps forward into the alleyway to crane your head up at the sign, staring at it with furrowed eyebrows like it was a code to decipher. as if on cue, the sound of thunder rumbling in the dark skies made you jolt back to reality, your instincts promoting you to drag your feet into the alleyway, taking a turn to find the doors of the building with the cactus sign.

to your luck, you ended up not getting soaked as the rain began pouring down heavily, creating much noise on every buildings' roofs. you hurriedly ran up a couple steps and pulled open the silver doors of the brick building, feeling the atmosphere switch from moderately humid weather to an extremely cold, air conditioned environment, making you shiver and clutch your arms close to you, attempting to pull your light jacket closer to your body. it felt like you were in the middle of the fucking arctic. you were surprised you didn't see icebergs yet.