Chapter 66

Xander's POV:

"So, now that it's after the ball," I began, crashing down next to Doe on the couch. "When are you gonna let me buy you that guitar?"

She paused mid-pluck on the violin that she finally decided to pick up again.

Which itself was a somewhat decent sign, given how long it's been.

She lowered the old instrument down towards her lap, that same, uneasy look that she had the first time I offered flashing across her features for a brief moment.

The one that I believed I figured out the reasoning behind.

And then immediately went to prove all of her worries right the very next day...

My largest and final mistake.

I just wanted to bring up the offer again just in case. Let her know that it was still on the table.

Especially since she brought up her interest in music last night.

Even so, I couldn't blame her hesitation right now, not with the timing of it all.

I probably should've waited a few days, but I couldn't help myself after walking in and hearing her play again.

I hadn't forgotten what I'd stupidly said to Layla about letting her have Doe after the ball, and I'm positive she hadn't either.

And well, today was the day.

I wasn't completely certain when exactly she planned on trying to collect that but today marked the beginning of that uncertainty.

I can only imagine that she'll have a few choice words for me as well for leaving her at the ball mid-way through.

Not that any part of that was a main concern of mine.

No. All I was truly worried about right now was the girl beside me, knowing that there was no doubt that similar worries were going through her.

Especially after last night.

It didn't take a genius to guess what haunted her frequent nightmares.

I tried not to let my mind slip and recall the moments after her nightmare but failed miserably, the entirety of my chest radiating that phantom warmth she gave me.

No...

I didn't want to allow myself to enjoy moments like that too much. Not when I still had so much to make up for.

Like this.

I was well aware that words concerning this subject held little value given my most recent fuck up, so I tried other ways to ease her.

Like getting her to talk about something else and get her mind off of it.

She finally looked at me after she'd shaken that look from her face, her fingers pressing the strings down hard onto the fingerboard.

"Maybe soon," There was a perfect 50/50 split between caution and desire of it in her words.

Which, at least, was better than the full-on denial I got from her the first time.

Baby steps, Xan, baby steps.

"Do you still think that you can help teach me?"

Her somewhat timid question caused me to perk.

Not only at the question, but at the fact that she was thinking about the future in a positive light.

"Most likely," I started, "All string instruments have similar basics, so I could at least get you started."