The Clock Is Ticking

The clouds of left over smoke filled my mouth and I keeled over to expel it from my lungs. The ringing in my ears had subdued and now I was hearing the terrified screams of panicked public.

"What in the fuck do you want?" I stood up as I spoke, turning to face the drug dealer who had nearly killed me.

"Did you really think I would forget about our little disagreement? Besides, you still have someone of great importance to me." I didn't know what he meant, and to be fair, I didn't care. He leaned in close, my body too weak from the explosion to push him away. His foul breath surrounded my nose and I grimaced, turning my head away. "Bring Layla to me or I will destroy everyone you love."

"Layla? Why on earth would you care about Layla?" The short laugh that Silas forced from his throat churned my stomach with nerves.

"She didn't tell you? No matter. I'm sure she's missing her dear old dad." Time seemed to stop. The sounds around me were enveloped in silence and I only stared at the horrible man infront of me. Dad? Layla? That couldn't be possible. Could it? "Wow, she really left you in the dark about that, huh? You have two days to bring her to the ruins of my warehouse. The clock is ticking." 

I didn't see him leave, but when I regained my touch with reality, I was alone. 

Dan. Where was Dan?

Turning in all directions, I looked for the slightest hint of the detective amongst the crowd. I spotted him 10 meters away, struggling to sit up after the impact. He had crashed into a market stall which had collapsed under his weight and it looked like it hurt.

"Dan!" I limped over, the coughs expelling left over smoke from my blackening lungs. He grimaced in pain as he sat up with my help.

"What the hell was that? Are you alright?" He looked me up and down with concern and I nodded, feeling sore, but overall I was fine. 

It was in that moment that I knew that if I told Dan what had really happened, and the threats that had just been made to me, I would lose. Silas would fulfill his promise and I couldn't risk that.

Dan called in some backup, making sure to stick to me like glue. When the police arrived, the civilians were escorted off the scene and checked for injuries while the bomb squad surveyed the scene for any more explosives.

Lucifer arrived ten minutes later, jumping out of his new car and running towards us, concern etched on his expression.

"What happened? Are you alright." It was touching to see he cared, but I was fine. I begrudgingly allowed him to assess me, making sure he never touched my skin, before letting out a sigh of relief. "Who did this? I swear I will make them wish they were dead." Anger flooded his eyes so I had to put a calming hand on his arm.

"Dad, I'm fine. Really. It's no big deal."

"Why were you in this part of the city anyway?" he asked. "You never come here." This was when Dan stepped in.

"She was being arrested on vandalism charges and I was about to take her to the station before the explosion." Lucifer's anger faltered for a moment, rubbing his face at my crime before brushing it off. There were more pressing matters at hand.

"Lets get you home. And there is no way you are ever leaving my sight." Before I could protest, I was stopped. "I need to keep you safe. When we get back to Lux, you are not to leave. Am I understood?" 

My jaw dropped in surprise. "What?! Dad that's not fair!"

"I don't want to hear it. Until I can guarantee your safety, you are grounded." 

I couldn't believe this. He was being totally unfair and paranoid. Lucifer talked to Dan in the background, sorting out a payment for the damage I had caused before he grabbed me by the elbow, leading me to his care and opening the door.

"Get in."

"No. If I do then you'll literally be keeping me prisoner."

"Lauren, I wasn't asking." He wasn't even looking at me. I grumbled a protest before begrudgingly getting into his stupid car.

The car ride was long and as silent as a graveyard. I couldn't tell what Lucifer was feeling and it was driving me crazy.

"So... Today was pretty crazy," I said, making an attempt at conversation. He didn't reply. "That explosion was weird right?" Still nothing. Usually I loved the peace and quiet of a silent car but the inability to know what type of mood Lucifer was in made me insane and anxious. I didn't like not knowing. "What's going to happen when we get home?"

"You are going to stay in your room till I decide you can come out." That seemed a bit dramatic. 

"And what if I don't want to?"

"You don't have a choice." His tone was firm and expressionless. My clueless state continued.

"You can't exactly stop me from leaving when I can teleport wherever I want." Lucifer pulled over to the side of the road and put the car in park. He twisted in his seat to face me.

"So that's what you want? To put yourself in danger till something like this happens again? No. Until the police figure out what happened, and put a stop to it, you aren't leaving the building." Without another word, he pulled back out onto the road, momentarily ignoring his mirrors and driving straight into the path of a freight truck.